Silly Question

Billaney

Mornin Paul,

As you well know, there's no such thing as a silly question, just silly answers :)

Killies can't really be kept together in community tanks for the simple reason that most females are a dull grey and hard (near impossible) to tell apart when mixed together. This is from what a VERY experienced Killie breeder (caserole) told me when I asked him the same thing. As far as temperment towards each other goes, I'm not sure. I'll leave further answering to the pros!

Yes i reckon you could.You could have 2 notho species 1 would have to be guentheri gold and maybe one of the other 3 sp we have as all the of these females look the same.You could also have gardneri gold,blue and albino easly told apart.Both australes choc and gold easly told apart and sjo's.The only thing is that sjo's will eat everything aprt frm the gardneri.If you wanted a tank with nice colour you could have a few pairs of Aphyosemions eg bitaeniatum,australe and maybe a gardneri sp but they can be aggressive.So yes you can have a tank mixed with killies just got to choose the rite ones.

cheers Kyle

You could of course Paul, once you get breeding them, use only males in the tank.

The males will "flash" to the others.

The best tank I ever saw of killies was an all male gardneri blue, in a river bio-type.

I wouldn't agree with the australe.

But what Shae says about the cross-breeding is correct with the three named gardneri.

Don't keep any babies if you do mix them.

In other words DON'T pick eggs, and the adults should take care of any babies that do appear.

The albinoes are really special, and I know that at least twice, they have been down to almost impossible numbers, but have then been bred up and got out to the members again.

It is so difficult to get new fish, that "we" try to keep them as pure as possible.

Take care of what we have, we may not be able to replace them.

Alan

NZKA 104