Dive Gear Questions.

Feelers

Hey guys, I've decided I want to learn scuba diving, and just wanted to know what I should look at for prices as I have no idea about brands or anything else for that matter.

Thought you would be good people to ask.

So far I can get a dive course at $500, or if I manage to get a group of 8 - $400 each. This is - , a dvd, 2 pool dives then 2 openwater dives, then one free napier aquarium dive :D . Sound like a good deal?

Basicially all gear is supplied, but I'm still interested getting my own gear. $2000 was the price for a total package deal, $3000 for the next leval up.

Am I best to go with 2nd hand gear? I have been looking and prices seem a lot cheaper.

do your course first before buying lots of gear. you may hate diving and become scared / paranoid under water. i had students who spat their regulator out and that at 12 meters due to panic!!

its also a good idea to do the course in NZ waters. you can dive here you can dive almost everywhere!

also if you plan on a holiday to go diving and only do a couple dives a year (5-10) you more often better of renting your equipement.

some dive shops especially before christmas offer quite a few deals (combo's that include 1st, 2nd stage, bcd and octopus).

so no impulse buying (but you as reefer should be able to resist that anyway 8) )

good luck

Good advise from cookie extreme...

Make sure your keen before you buy... as with most things the sky is the limit. but here's my 10c

SOme things i woudl always buy "new" you have to trust you life with it. Other stuff you coudl get 2nd hand and be confident....There are some good brands and some not so good...

Spend your money on good reg's, they are worth their weight in gold!

Next i would say a good wetsuit is really important

Good mask, fins, snorkel, and if your after crays... a torch!!!

And BCD's all do pretty much the same thing so i woudlnt spend alot on the latest and greatest, 2nd hand would be an option.

Dont worry about flash- harry computers even a basic computer will suffice for most recreational diving.

Good luck 8)

DJ

Get a medical first a young friend in the Port just went for a medical so he can learn to dive, doctor admitted him straight to hospital with something wrong with his heart he found out he has a very rare heart disease only about 1% have it, something to do with muscle building around the heart.

The hospital told him no diving and no exercise or he could die!!

I'm talking about a strapping lad that is very active in everything what a bummer.

Oh and there is no cure :(

something to do with mussel building

what kind of mussels? green lip? sorry fay for tanking the p..s. all dive centre should require a full medical before you are allowed to start your course. if they don't go somewhere else!!!i have met people with asthma the doctor who signed them fit for diving should be hang and quartered.

So far I can get a dive course at $500, or if I manage to get a group of 8 - $400 each. This is - , a dvd, 2 pool dives then 2 openwater dives, then one free napier aquarium dive . Sound like a good deal?

Basicially all gear is supplied, but I'm still interested getting my own gear. $2000 was the price for a total package deal, $3000 for the next leval up.

Open water courses are around $299 here in Napier

When I did mine there were 6 pool sessions, 4 dives in Lake Taupo and 2 boat dives (sea), PADI requires 4 openwater dives to complete your training

My advice, get your medical, buy your own mask (Stay away from the low volume black silicone, alot of beginners hate them) snorkle, boots, fins,wetsuit and gloves.

I like the good quality regs and computers, bcds up to you really, can get good deals second hand, I like to carry some weight in my bcd so have weight integrated.

Dive at the National Aquarium, very good, fed the fish on Sunday, have done this heaps of times and still enjoy every minute of it

Go for it whatever the cost, there is nothing like it :bow:

Bruce

So you can get a dive for $300? , I'm in Hastings so I was gonna do a dive in Napier, that was the price from Divehq

Or is this the price if you own your own gear? Whats PADI? from what I understood I would have the basic qualification after doing this course.

Adventure Dive has them for 299 thought DHQ would still be matching that .

It was quite a while ago that I did my O/Water so things might have changed a bit

(PADI) is the organisation that certifies you (DHQ) are using the PADI qualification

If your from Hawkes Bay, invest in a 7mm suit, it gets bitterly cold in the middle of winter :lol:

/Bruce

Splash Gordon here in Wellington 2 for $399.00 for a course. $500 is top dollar for sure.

Do not buy your gear before you have dived. And even then, i'd wait until you have a good dozen or 2 dives under you belt. Lots of people I know dive a few times after there course then stop, which is a shame, but if its not for you then its a waste of money buying all that gear.

The internet is your friend. There are mail order places in the USA who will freight to NZ. Often you can get stuff landed here for 1/5 the NZ retail price. This is especially true of computers. Remember a USA compass will point in the wrong direction, so get you compuss here in NZ.

Diving is awesome, but its dangerous and can be expensive. Buy good quality gear and remember it needs maintenance. Every year you need to service your regs and BCD. Wetsuits wear, masks break etc.

Good luck with it.

Pie

If your from Hawkes Bay, invest in a 7mm suit, it gets bitterly cold in the middle of winter

Hahahahahaha 7mm should be stock anywhere in NZ. He is in Christchurch, i'd be looking at 7mm x2 :)

I would love a drysuit, shame they are so much money, other things always take preference.

Pie

I would love a drysuit, shame they are so much money

You can make some big savings buying from overseas. To give you an idea, i bought a DUI drysuit for about 1/2 what they go for in NZ.

You should also keep an eye on the UK websites. There is a big dive show in Birmingham about October and there are some wicked deals on then!!

Ermmmm Kind of :oops:

The distributior is in Auckland, i managed to get a "look" at a DUI before I bought... so tried it on first... And i was close enough to one of the standard sizes.

The Trilaminate CLX450 is quite roomy anyway. Not the same as a neoprene which you see mainly in NZ

No same north but slight difference in hemispheres ( dont ask me why!!) Apparently teh likes of Suunto make a Northern & Southern hemisphere compass.

But unless your in the SAS doing a 2km underwater swim i dont think it would matter that much! But the SAS would use a GPS and a rebreather!!

No same north but slight difference in hemispheres ( dont ask me why!!) Apparently teh likes of Suunto make a Northern & Southern hemisphere compass.

But unless your in the SAS doing a 2km underwater swim i dont think it would matter that much! But the SAS would use a GPS and a rebreather!!

Does GPS work underwater? More than just a few meters I mean?

So, what's the difference between the two hemispheres for compasses? I can't think of anything that would need to be changed, all you'd have to do is adjust for magnetic variation which is, iirc correctly from 11-15° in the US and 21-22° in NZ. Maybe you need to hold a northern hemisphere compass upside down for it to work in the southern hemisphere?