An afternoon looking at Guppies

Delta

Hi Everybody,

I've had my Guppies for a month now (I think) anyway I've been lucky that both females have given birth twice already, or maybe that is each one has given birth once, but I have 2 lots of fry.

Anyway I was showing these fish to some friends and explaining their interesting live birth cycle, and how they mate, and are able to keep the sperm etc..

They(the visitors) were facinated by the goings on in the tank, but were in awe that the males just don't let up, constantly shadowing the females. By the end of a few hours watching the tank (it's in my lounge) the more observant of them had learnt to spot the males modified fin with cries of "He got her!" ..and.. "Gee's that one won't give up, poor girl" interrupting the conversations. :o

:D It was a funny afternoon with the fish taking center stage.

In the end the consensus of opinion was that I should take the males out and give the females a rest. :oops:

*Should I remove the males from time to time??

I have 2 females and 3 males in a 2 foot tank, with oodles of fry - that I have been useing for live food.

* Do I have too many males per females, and maybe keep some female fry to make up the difference.

* Do Guppies have a breeding season or will they always be this virile?

cheers,

Dianna

Hi Dianna,

*Should I remove the males from time to time??

I have 2 females and 3 males in a 2 foot tank, with oodles of fry - that I have been useing for live food.

* Do I have too many males per females, and maybe keep some female fry to make up the difference.

* Do Guppies have a breeding season or will they always be this virile?

You could move the males, or seperate them, but your "oodles" will have lots of males among it, so it's a bit like a fire... hard to stop once it starts. :)

A good combination is three females to one male (gives the ladies a rest now and then)

Guppy do have a breeding season... it runs from January one year, to January the next year.... in other words, none stop :)... and even without males (once fertilized) they will still keep dropping. The female fry are just about born pregnant, and will drop at about six weeks.

They say that if a pair didn't eat their young, and neither did the offspring, that they would produce three million plus offspring in a year, and as Caryl pointed out elsewhere, "They don't call them the millions fish for nothing" :)

Select the best... cull the rest, is a good plan.

Avoid "interbreeding" too much, as you'll finish up with weak strains and more runts than good fish. Introduce quality new stock from another source if you want to raise some decent ones.... but it takes time and dedication.

Happy Days,

Bill (Pegasus)

on that note.

Finding good stock can sometimes be an issue. Talk to fishy people not fish shops as they generally get their stock from the same place and the fish for sale are usually in the feeder not breeder category. You will know good breeders when you see them.

• 3 weeks later...

good to here that there still guppys out there if you ever get some u dont want let me know as im finding it hard to get them down my way but want to start with them and see what i can bread but needs guppys keep on breeding then and maybe some day ill start to :(

I have a few strains of guppies I have been working on.

When I have enough I will send some down to Caryl to give out.

They still need a bit of work but they are beginning to come out quite nice.

I had hoped to be able to breed enough over summer to be able to send down, but for some reason the females did not drop many fry.I wanted to grow them to adult size in my polystyrene containers outside over summer.Maybe it was the heat they didn't like.My fighters did fine over summer and bred like rabbits.The Guppies have only just started breeding in the last month or so.I would be greatful for some advice if anyone has another theory.

Bruce has some nice Guppies as well.The H/B blue strain I have came from his stock given to me by Kelly Rennel and they are very nice fish with a large delta tail.

Don't under-estimate female guppies, it is not just up to the males to produce nice fish.My H/B yellows and H/B blacks came from a female of each type that I bought from a petshop.Most of the fish from each batch came out the same as the female and I linebred brother to sister from there.

Line breeding is not hard provided you have tank-space and patients.Be prepared to share any strains you produce.This will cut down on tankspace.When you need to outcross you should be able to get hold of some fish that are at least distantly related to the fish you are breeding.

You need to outcross at least every 5-6 generations less iff you have an albino type or you will start having problems with fertility.

I will get some fish down there.

Just need to make sure I have enough good breeding stock.

I would like nothing more than to get a Guppy society going in NZ.

Never say Can't.

I have only been working on guppies for a short time (in line breeding terms) and I am already having good results.

You can acheive alot by yourself.I make my own tanks from glass I get from the local re-cycling centre.I grow and make alot of my own food.

I feel very sorry for species breeders like Killifish who need to get hold of fish comming through Quarantine but with guppies, other livebearers and fighters anything is acheivable through good linebreeding and time.

If you need any advice please contact Me, or Cees.

My "Combtail/Roundtail" that I have been watching develop so carefully is beginning to turn into a "Triple Sword" by the looks of things.

Still... It'll be a change from the Delta's and will be interesting to see it's development.

Great to see you on the forum again Peter.

Hope you find some fish Ywork :)

Bill (Pegasus)