Killie Size

PENEJANE

What is the adverage size of adult breeding killies? Also how many could I fit in a 34W x 22H x20D cm tank? (15 ltrs) It has a tight fitting lid with an access point in the middle of the lid. The tank is plastic and was the cheap $9 ones from the warehouse. I currently have 3 of these so was wondering if I am able to keep adults with babies as the tank isn't big enough to float anything unless really tiny lol. But I am sure I can work something out.

So yeah is this size tank ok and how many would be suitable in this sort of tank.

Cheers

:bounce:

go with bitaeniatum.You wont get striatum and gardneri sp males can be aggresive towards each other.Bitaeniatum stay a lot smalle than all the others and you could get 2 pairs in their probably.Easy to spawn aswell and i often find babies swimming with the parents if i forgot to check the mop for a week or two.

cheers Kyle

Would Java Moss be ok along with Ambulia (excuse spelling) I have that growing like wild fire in my main tanks and with the fine leaves would this be suitable for these guys? I was hoping to do the three tanks with a different one in each but if its not possible then I will just use the one tank for the adults and the other tank to raise the fry in. This would mean that I can only have one species of killies. It would be awesome if I could manage two with a planted tank. I know that these tanks are not that big but it is the only thing that I can use that is fully covered at the top. For filteration I have two Elite Stingray 5. They are for 19ltrs. Would this be ok for the 15ltr tanks? or do they prefer low current?

Cheers

Because of the low number of fish in the tanks and the plants.

I wouldn't be too fussed about any aeration.

Just do 1/3 tp 1/2 water change a week and you'll have no probs.

Use 1tspn of salt per four litres for them, helps keep away the dreaded "velvet' disease.

Jave moss and ambulia(nothing rong with the spelling), will be fine.

Some of us use 'indian fern' floating on top.

Cuts out some of the jumping too.

But it isn't foolproof tho.

The root mass act as a fine depository for the eggs as well.

Alan

NZKA 104

Cheers for that Alan. Would it be wise to use any form of substrate? marbles, crushed gravel, normal gravel or just a bare bottom tank? Do the species that I am after prefer mops to spawn in or what?

I have found this link very usefull in the breeding of certian species as it has got what other people have tried and what their sucess was. They even have a male/female ratio of the hatch to which is pretty impressive. I don't know if you been to this site but I will put it up anyway. I just thought that it is very informative on the breeding side of things

http://www.killi.co.uk/

But since it is in the UK I don't know if the same methods would be the same here.

Cheers