Formalin for treating white spot?

Cath

I was given formalin by the LFS for white spot and as they had nothing else I took it but I want to check with you guys about its useage? Is this an ok thing to use? Will it kill the plants? Can I dose the whole tank with it etc

Cheers

ok the temp has been increased to 28* I've had it there for several days now I tried to get it to 30* but it wouldn't go any higher. IN a tank that is 80cm x 40 x 40 how much rock salt would you add - thanks in advance

Formalin is pretty good for treating some things but it has some limitations. The white precipitate that forms on the bottom of the bottle is highly toxic to fish and it can cause temporary sterility in fish. It is generally used for viruses and flukes. The pet shop should have either brooklands mixture or furan if you want to use chemicals. I have used analytical grade formaldehyde but I wouldn't use it for white spot. I would change pet shops if that is all they have for white spot.

Thank you both so much. I'll try the salt treatment since the water temp is up there and I really would prefer not to use chemicals.

So far the fish are doing well and the white spot is not so prevelant so I am assuming the higher temp is working some.

Cheers

:hail:

this is so interesting - so does the salt actually kill the bug itself? Why do people use the chemical treatments over this?

I have had the temp up for 48 hours so am slowly lowering it again as well, the fish all look good now but will still do the treatment

Thanks so much again

Cheers :bow:

Unless I am mistaken, most fish pharmaceuticals only kill white spot at its cyst stage. Salt is far less stressing on the fish and total environment of the tank, than treating it with chemicals. I have always found salt most effective in treating other people’s fish, along with increasing the temperature. Once the White spot has disappeared from the fish, do a large gravel clean to remove the remnants of the illness.

Shae

Alan asked:

In my opinion, salt does not kill ich, it may promote the slime growth on the fish.

But if it killed ich, why do they get it in a SW tank??

I was curious about this and posted in the SW section under one of the ICH threads.

I asked if the two types were the same..

According to one of the members they differ.. and apparently the SW version can't live in FW.. and visa versa.

There seems to be quite an epidemic among the marine keepers at the mo.

Bill.

Actually Alan, that's a good point. I wondering whether it is just the temperature that kills because I know that white spot can only survive between a fairly narrow range of temp. It has all disappeared from the fish so far and all I have done is increase the temp to 29* (couldn't quite make 30. I also increased aeration. Today I will be able to get into town. I think I'll get a proper white spot medication. I have a feeling doing anything with salt might just require an expertise I don't have, however I have saved this advice and will use it in tanks I get in the future that are perhaps not quite so well planted!

Thank you both of you, any advice is much appreciated!

Cheers