Hello from Koala County! :>

dumotel

Howdy everyone!

Thought I'd do the right thing for once and post in here first before I start with other forums on the bbs...

Anyways, I'm pretty new to the hobby but it's taken me by storm. I'm considering silicone-sealing the house and filling it with water. B.Y.O snorkel notice for visitors and such :P

I only have 2 tanks for now, 1 x 3.3G with a handsome betta in it (Alpha), and a 17G temporary set-up housing 2 goldies not bigger than 2", 2 pearl danios, 2 zebras, 2 leopards, and 2 spotted minnows. They will all have a new home in the way of a 55-60G tank in a few months time. U know the way it goes.. funds are low and debts are high... Started off with 2 goldies in the 3.3G however a little research soon saw me shift them into the biggest temporary set-up I could get my hands on. Don't want to get a glass tank for now even if I could afford the one I want, as it will be a nightmare moving it in a few months time.

Anyways, both tanks are cycled and doing pretty well. Alpha's tank cycled in less than 2 weeks thanks to seeding it well enough from the main tank. When I first started at Christmas, I thought I'd never see the ammonia/nitrite parameters hit zero once they peaked. Patience is a virtue I'm learning with this hobby ;)

Anyways, cheers for now. I'm off to read the board!

DuMotel

Thanks for the welcome!

The fires got within 35kms if my calculations are correct... that's near enough for me. On one particular day, driving visibility was less than a kilometre. The air (or lack of) was bordering on asphyxiating I'd say.

Yeah, snorkel only to visitors I like. Lol, would that make my feline friends instant catfish? :P

DuMotel

Hi there Du,

Great first post, and welcome to the NZFR. You'll find quite a few familiar names here, and lots of interesting posts.

There's another part of the site (click on the twin fish at the top of the page) if you want plant info or to read some articles.

Look forward to your posts :)

Happy Days,

Bill (Pegasus)

Thanks for the welcome! :)

Intended to go to work today, as one does, but things happen... Lol can't say not going upset me any :P

I took the opportunity to visit a cabinet maker. Next week sometime they will have a quote for me on a cabinet and hood for a tank with these dimensions : L 48" H 18" and 2 Width quotes, one based on 16" and one 14". They already build reptile enclosures for pet shops, so they might even be able to do the tank too. We'll see. I just find aquarium cabinets/hoods so expensive.. but at the same time one obviously needs a proper structure to support such tank weight. These cabinet makers know my dad, so with some luck this might work in my favour (lol or against hehe :P )

Anyways, I have till mid-year before I get the tank, so it doesn't hurt any to use the time to do a bit of shopping around. I just can't believe how much prices vary from store to store. It's like some just slap on whatever price they want. I found an air pump at this place for $45, they gave it to me for $40 (guess I smile great hehe :P ) and then at the next place I went to, the exact same pump was $53. Then there's stuff like test kits... I just can't believe how much prices vary from place to place. It seems I'll end up buying kits and such from one place, and other stuff from another. Then there's shops that completely and utterly trash a particular product, and others who swear by it. Each to his own I know, but it doesn't help the a beginner like me out much. What one places preaches as gospel, another denounces as downright Hades material. Oh well.. I'll just keep cross-referencing until I go nuts and then proceed to do my own thing too lol.

Cheers for now :>

DuMotel