Amazon sword baby

stagger lee

Hi, My Amazon sword put out a runner not to long ago and now the baby is starting to get quite big. When do i detach it from the mother? Or should i leave it and will it detach itself? It is about 1/4 of the size of the mother...

Thanks

Its time, :bounce: its time. :bounce:

if there are lots of roots and are about 8-10 cm long. its ready to go.

is there anoy other nodes or plantlet? only one?

Well done. Do you know the name of the sword plant? i may buy it from you.

All the best. :lol:

Thanks for your advice Plantman.

It looks like there is only 1 plantlet at the moment, so i will keep that for myself for now :D

As for the type, i think it's Echinodorus bleheri. It's quite small still, i am trying to control black brush algae and unfortunantly that likes to grow on the sword more than any other plant. So i have to take off the outer leaves kinda often :cry:

Thanks for your advice Plantman.

It looks like there is only 1 plantlet at the moment, so i will keep that for myself for now :D

As for the type, i think it's Echinodorus bleheri. It's quite small still, i am trying to control black brush algae and unfortunantly that likes to grow on the sword more than any other plant. So i have to take off the outer leaves kinda often :cry:

do you mean black bear algae (BBA)? one remedy is to double dose "Flourish Excel-organic Carbon". in one week time the BBA will turn pink and disappear (it will not hurt your plant). i think about 2 to 3 week. then you have to change 50% of your tank water twice a week for three weeks. and pray that it does not return.

there is no guarantee. some time i think it only slow the growth. changing water does keep the algae under control.

all the best :lol:

Thanks M V, i wish i could say i had that many babies!

Plantman, i do mean BBA, and i am double dosing with Flourish Excel. I have been for about 4 weeks now and i have been told it can take months for this to work. My Temple plants are NOT loving it. They ahve lots of new growth but the edges of older leaves are black and kinda crispy. But i have only been changing the water once a week like ususal. The algae has not turned pink yet, but has not spread either so that's good i suppose! :roll:

I'll keep battling away and just love my new sword plant!