sick tang, you just HAVE to feel for him

wasp

This is my powder blue, with major whitespot. Couldn't even capture how bad it is with the camera, in real life he looks like he is wearing a fur coat.

tangwhitespot.jpg

When he first got whitespot he came down real bad gasping for breath I did not think he would make it. He would not eat garlic and I don't like copper, so I put him in a QT tank and treated with hyposalinity, dropping salinity over 3 days from 1.025 to 1.009. Did the trick, cured in a little over a week. But then I screwed up, the tank has to be kept at 1.009 for 6 weeks, to allow all the resting stages to die. But stupidly I did not do enough top off, and the salinity crept up to 1.011, enough to allow another infestation. So this is him now. The salinity is back down to 1.009, so provided he does not die in the next couple of days he should come right, but I'll have to start the 6 weeks again.

Really have to feel for him he is SO uncomfortable, it's horrible to watch. If someone could invent a 100% guaranteed cure that could be done in tank, for this nasty disease, I'm sure it would be a ticket to become a millionaire!

Thanks, yes garlic is great I have used it before with seeming success. Just this powder blue is a very fussy eater he will not eat it.

I have mixed the freshly crushed clove with food exactly as you said, & he has taken a little. I'm planning to attempt to slowly train him onto garlic, to help him in the future, as powder blues are extremely susceptible to whitespot.

But he's one of the most fussy fish I've ever seen. Won't even eat if I change brand of flake.

Wasp - You saw the pics of my blue tank? Had mayve 15 spots per square centermeter.

I fed my tank heavly, and let him be. Over time it faded and dissapeared.

Good luck, its a PITA for sure, awesome fish too I hope it works out.

Pie

If hes still alive go buy one or two cleaner shrimp.

My tang never goes near mine... unless he (2* got white spot)

From introduced fish and corals.

I swear they are fantastic for white spot and also look cool, and clean your tank.

$65 each =$130 for two

Or one power blue (dead) $150 plus.

Now thats the accountant in me talking... haha

Cheers

Hey thanks for the advice everyone! Great bunch of caring people!

Yes Fay he is still eating. I've been feeding him heaps since his first bout just to try and keep him in condition, so in fact he is very fat. Which is good because no doubt all those parasites will suck it out of him before they drop off.

Just for anyone who is interested, here is a link to the instructions how to treat whitespot with hyposalinity. It's a good method in that it leaves no toxic residue as does copper, but as I found to my poor tangs cost, you have to stay right on top of monitoring the salinity.

http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevo ... inity.html

Surely if you tang got the whitespot in the main tank as soon as you put him back he will get infected again? Doesn't it take 2 months of NO fish in a tank to kill whitespot? I'm no expert but wouldn't putting the blue tang in a QT just cause him to be more stressed and therefore more likely to get a worse infestation when you put him back in the tank?

I often have a few spots of whitespot in my tank usually when I do something to stress the fish like moving stuff round, adding a new fish, etc, I find my cleaner shrimp keep it under control then when when the stress drops off the whitespot dissappears.

Good point about moving him, etc.

He has actually never been in the main display tank he lives in one of the frag tanks. The plan is to eventually get him into the main display but I'm still only working towards this slowly because of the whitespot issue.

Powder blue tangs are extremely susceptible to whitespot even by tang standards, and if they get whitespot the outcome will often be death, check this http://www.wetwebmedia.com/powdbluetg.htm In the case of my one I felt treatment was essential he would have died (still might).

0e596768.jpg

For use in marine/reef tanks only Stop parasites is against lchthyophtirius, Oodinium and Chryptocaryon. it is safe for all marine invertebrates and bacteria, does not contain copper.

5ml for every 100ltrs

then every 3 days that is on day 1, 4, 7, 10, and 13. for very heavy cases of disease double the dosage after the first day

Thanks both.

Well yesterday he was REAL bad, wouldn't eat, and hiding against a rock quivering and shaking, never moved from it all day. I actually considered euthanising him just to end it all. But what stopped me was according to theory, with both hyposalinity and copper treatment, the fish should continue to worsen in appearance for 3 days as existing parasites mature, and then after 3 days they improve as parasites are dropping off and not being replaced. Yesterday was day 3 so I just hoped he made it through the night.

So this morning I rush down to the tank and have a look, and :D:D:D he is swimming around. Greatly reduced amount of whitespot on him, his suffering is nearing an end.

Yeah I really like this fish so :bounce:

Slappers I'm going to try that Salifert product sometime, probably if there is ever a bad outbreak in the main tank.

dogmatix Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:44 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've had a recent case of Wspot on my kole, atlantic blue and clown tangs, have been using aqua medic exodin and its been working a treat.

Good luck with it

Ben

dogmatix

so far i have had a negative result with aqua-medic exodin, the fish still have W/Spot and i have lost 2 acros

GOOD TO HAVE UPDATED NEED TO KNOW THESE THINGS

ENJOYED YOUR VISIT TODAY BEN :D