Hello from Tauranga

Pauly

Hello fellow fish people, its great to see I'm not alone in this fish keeping thing. I have had fish for about 10 years , but never really tried with the flashier types of fish .(the more expensive one's to be truthful )

Two days ago I got my first Discus, 2 ,1 and a half " blue somthing or others ,and 1 , 1 " pigeon .

I have them in a quiet community tank of about 130 liters or so, and any info on growing them up fast would be welcome.

I hope to correspond with you all, and also read all the forums you have .

Also were do gold fish fanciers get the really nice fish found in books and not the pet shops ?

bye for now

Pauly

Welcome Pauly and good luck with the discus. There are a number of discus keepers here who can help with your questions.

As to goldfish, you need to find a breeder. Finding goldfish to match the books is not easy in NZ with the importation ban for so many years. Most NZ goldfish are lacking quality.

I believe they are often bred by the Asians, who prize goldfish, but they don't like people to know they have good quality fish as it opens them to theft.

Hi Pauly,

Glad you could join us too!! :D:D

Where did you get your discus from?

When we were holidaying in Tauranga two years ago we went to a shop out by the airport/big shopping centre and one in town.

The one out by the airport was pretty cool and had a good selection of marines, but had no discus.

Regards

Blueram

Welcome to the fishaholics board :D I have a couple of discus. I have found that clean water is essential for healthy discus. As for growing on I suggest that you often change the water, maybe twice a week about 1/3rd. Good quality flake and occassional bloodword works for mine.

Just watch to see that they are not bullied by other tank members. I have found my two discus to be a source of joy and much pleasure.

Hi Pauly and Welcome from way up North in the U.S (Kansas). I just got a used 65 gal corner tank and was thinking maybe I'd start an planted discus tank. Ive always love discus and their bright colors, but dont know if I can keep doing all the things that Goldie said. I change water when the other half gets on me. Just to keep peace. My 55 gal gets changed very two weeks if needs or not. Do you think I could keep an discus tank. Cant teach an old dog new tricks.

Thankyou all for your advice and replies. I have been doing some study and it seems good filtration , regular ph checks and water changes , are very important. I hope I can manage these , as I can be very lazy at times :oops: .

I got the discus from, pets 'n things down at Brookfield in Tauranga . Greg down there has been very help full ,and I recommend his store.

I am 1 week in now and things are all going well ,infact I am seriously thinking about getting a bigger tank, for more fun (apart from more maintinence ) :-? .

Again thankyou all for your help and incouragement .

ps . YES Angel 2 ,from what I've read as long as you have a very good filter and maintain ph a water change every two weeks will do :) .