stones and rocks

slash

Iam thinking of using rocks from the beach to decorate my tank,

Planning to collect, then clean, dry it out for a week (kil all bacteria and stuff) then use them in tank, would that affect the tanks water or anything in anyway? since the rocks are from the beach/bay.

Also i went to the petshop and asked if i they recommend a underground filter, they said they dont use it so i souldnt :S, what do you guys recommend?

Iam a begginer :o go easy pls :D

is it also absolute necessary to have a cover on top of the tank?

I have a 85L tank,

Fish

- 2 Tiger Barbs

- 2 Guramis

Due to poor begining my 2 loaches and neons + silver dollars died.

Askd a guy everything i sould do in the pet shop, i guess he didnt tell me enought (like water change everyweek) :(

Rocks are from Mission Bay Area, No live plants At the moment.

Whoa, sounds like you have had a, ahem, 'rocky' start to the hobby. Good to see you are going to persevere! Many simply give up - and never learn what they missed out on. And, you've visited the right place to learn how it all works.

Have you read the threads at the beginning of the 'Beginners corner' section? To put it simply - Did your tank "cycle" correctly...as described somewhere in those two articles?

I will give a provisional "yes" you can use 'some' of the rocks around Auckland beaches....but there is quite a few checks you must do first. Basically, not only must the rocks be clean of 'contaminants', but they must be of a particular type so as not to leach 'harmfull' (to freshwater fish) minerals. Am not an expert here- someone else will jump in to offer advice I'm sure.

Some petshops, or LFS (local fish shops/suppliers) give excellent advice, and some leave a wee bit to be desired. Can also depend on the particlar salesman on duty on a certain day too tho. No one wants to "bag" the shops giving "odd" advice, but theres no harm in piping the shops well known for giving good advice - Petplanet in Whangaporoa and Hollywood Fishfarm in Albany and Mt Eden give great advice.

Have you used a test set of sorts to check your water for PH, Ammonium, or NitrIte? What temp is it at?

And a reasonably obvious suggestion if I can - dont buy any more fish just yet!

Hi Slash...introduce yourself in the beginner's section!

Those who have the kind of fish that you do will be able to advise you on whether they are jumpers (need lid for sure then :P )

But do you have lighting for your tank? My lights are in the hoods of my tanks.