The care and keeping of.... an egg sack

Melanie

My black mystery snail laid an egg sack in the corner of my tank, out of the water.

Does anyone know what to do with the egg sack?

Does it need to be removed and submerged?

Do I just leave it there?

How long do you reckon before I have 100 baby snails?

Wait... how many baby snails will there be?

Any help would be appreciated.

If you have a fairly airtight lid, that will keep up the humidity and the eggs will be okay.

DON'T submerge them.

I can't remember how long they took to develop,

Rob could possible give it to you down to the minute,

but you will see the mass starting to literally dissolve,

and as it does so, the baby snails drop down into the tank in a drip.

To save them from predation,

have them drop down into a floating icecream container with some of the tank water in.

Alan 104

here is some random bits of info that may be of some help.

-It's important to keep the eggs in a moist, but not wet environment. Never keep these eggs under water (this will drown the embryos)! Keep the temperature between 18 and 28°C (65-82°F). The higher the temperature, the faster the snails will hatch.

-It's no problem to transfer the egg clutch to another location, as long as you are careful not cause too much damage. A damages clutch is more prone to infections and evaporation. The best way to move the eggs is by wetting the clutch, wait a few hours and then carefully move the clutch over the surface until it comes off. Obvious this method of most succesful on glass or other smooth surfaces.

-The eggs at the surface probably won't deliver you many little snails when the air humidity is not optimal, but often the eggs deeper inside the clutch thrive well

-After 2-4 weeks (depending on the species and the temperature, 14 days at 25°C in the case of Pomacea canaliculata) the first little snails should appear

-If you don't see little snails after breaking a 4 weeks old clutch, it can be that the eggs aren't fertilised or that the air moisture was too low.

-From the day they hatch, the young snails eat the same as their parents, so there is no need for special babysnail-food. Keep in mind, however, that it's often difficult for a young snail to obtain enough food in a completely clean tank. The long distances they need to walk in such case to reach the food could simply be too much. As a result of this, it's often easier to raise little apple snails in a tank with algae on the walls so the little snails have enough food (algae) withou travelling all around.

-The young apple snails can stay in the same aquarium together with their parents without being eaten by them as long as there is enough food available. However, larger fish with preference for (little) snails can be a reason to keep the young ones in a separated aquarium until they have grown somewhat bigger.

Well, I already have more than I need in terms of snails. I initially thought that the large snail had given birth to them but I think I'm wrong given that I've got this huge eggsack now and haven't seen anything like that to produce the babies.

In any case if anybody does want baby snails when they're born, just send me a PM and we can meet up.

uhm.. I have 3 egg sacks, some of the cells look like they're open and a hundered little snails are wandering in the tank but...I know there used to be tiny snails in the tank even before the hatching, so do you guys know how to tell baby apple snails from unwanted little snails?

i have about three brown apple snail egg sacks,and they are laying them quite often,i have just had a batch hatch.

what i did was wait until i could see the eggs breaking down and then transfered them to a container of water and let the baby snails break free into the container. i now have about 50 of the tiny lil things,was only a small sack tho [--------------] so am expecting alot more from the bigger two. :)

Tim

ummm not quite sure,about 2 weeks mabye,but i did have 1 batch that seemd as if it wasnt fertalised,and was jus eggs,cos i had it for about a month and still nothing :-?

just leave them for longer,u can see them change colour as they develop,they go slightly darker,and thats when i removed the sack and put in some water.

waiyt until they all go darker first,leaving them longer wont hurt them,jus sit it on top of your tank next to your light and they should be ok there,or if you can just let them go into the tank they came from aslong as nothing will predate on them :)

Tim

One of the sacks fell in by itself and nobody's eaten it yet.

I just haven't seen any babies. How do I know if s/he is fertilizing them or not?

And, while we're at it, the other snail, the white one, is digging holes in my tank. What the heck is he doing?