HELP betta spawn?????

MRSkz

Howdy ya'll. now this is my first breeding atempt and everything's been going pretty well. my male has built a lovely bubble nest under a bit of polystyrine, I have kept the fem on one side of a clear divider and the male on the other.

I introduced them slowly, for a few hours only the first time, a few more the second, now I've left them for 18hours ish. funny thing is they are both now under the polystyrine, the bubble nest has been compleatly desimated but they are still trying to embrace.

this brings me to my question, should I now seperate them while the male rebuilds his bubble nest as they have been hanging out under what WAS the nest for atleast an hour or more. they aren't hurting eachother, they are just busy trying to spawn but not realizing they don't have anything to put the eggs in IF they are sucsessfull.

any advice would be greatly appriciated,

Tammy

Sorry Caserole but you are thinking of gourami eggs, they float, the betta eggs sink and the male picks them up as they are sinking and off the bottom.

Leave them a little longer and see if you can see any eggs. When they have finnished embracing then remove the female. if there are eggs he will defend them and keep the nest built and in good order.

good luck they are fun to do.

ok update. I've replaced the bit of poly w/a poly cup (halfed) and the bubble nest is taking shape AGAIN and looking LOT'S better. the main problem is neither of them have spawnd before so they don't know how and that is QUITE evident. he trys to embrace her, THINK'S he has her but doesnt and stays like that for a few moments where she's just lookin at him sayin "over here buddy". they ARE trying they just aren't DOING. anyone got a betta sex edd vid they could watch? :wink:

lol they need something cripes. they are both of similar size to, she's not to big or small, he's not to big or small I THINK they are both juuuuuuuuuuust right. looks like she's tierd and he's giving a half effort of chasing her but more interested n the bubble nest AGAIN.

I tell ya my guppies are breeding like guppies. My cory's, back when I had just 1albino fem and 1 peper'd male tried there little hearts out (laid egg's twice but just couldn't cross). betta's seem to need a "how to" book.

no he's not chasing here away yet. he's chasing her TO the nest, when he has some energy. she's getting a little haggerd looking. I've added some malefix stuff to the tank, going to leave them in overnight again and if nothing's happend I'll pop the fem in her holder so she can recover.

now I was wondering how long any of ya'll would leave them to "do there thing" when u have 2 fist timers? I don't want them getting "disheartend" if fishy do get that way but I also don't want to destroy the "hard work" they've done.

idea's anyone?

ty,

Tammy

I just got myself a couple of females, put them into the tank wth the male and within a short period of time he was blowin' the nest.

Have now put both the ladies in breeding traps and feeding all three, lots, especially live.

The info i got was from herehttp://groups.msn.com/Breedingtropicalfish/siamesefighters.msnw