Emperor Tetras

Faran

Emperors.jpg

Well, yesterday I came across a nice school of adult Emperor tetras in a LFS in Para. They were expensive (suits my taste, it seems) but as they were the best ones I've seen with full adult finnage and colouration I got a shoal. Today I sat down for a coffee and observed the new residents in the warm Discus tank to make sure they're okay and making a smooth transition.... then I saw them starting to spawn.

So, just wanted to check interest in these guys before breeding them. Are they a popular fish to have? Pretty expensive ($8-10) in shops but they're considered the kings of the tetras (therefore the name) for the beautiful finnage and colouration. In case you don't know, they're silver and blurple and the males have fin extensions and blue eyes, the females have shorter fins and green eyes.

Now.... do I kick out the Congos from their breeding tank and pop the Emperors in for a go? Up to you guys!

LOL, well, I already have about 100 Congo fry over here (guesstimate) so I can always move on to the next great Tetra. These fish really ARE beautiful, I've only come across them a few times and the last time I saw them at a Welly LFS they all died by the time I went back to buy them. Rather happy that I got these beauts and thinking about going back up to get the couple of females I left behind...

So yeah, there's one person interested, but do you have room for these or Congos in your tank?

My experience breeding Emporas, not all males are fertile. They will spawn but the eggs aren't fertile. When you do get a fertile male they are a nice easy tetra to breed. Unlike most, they don't seem to be avid egg eaters so you are not costantly watching the breeding tank.

With a good quantity of spawning medium (java moss or nylon mops) you only need to check for eggs daily.

Alan.

I'm going to try getting a shot with the flash on. I was in a rush letting everyone out of the bag (hence no Q tank) so I just took one pic when they were adjusting. The blue and green of the eyes and the purple metallic stripe is amazing. Really looking forward to setting up a breeding tank for them. And the best thing - they're not egg eaters. They can spawn on bare bottom tanks, so I just need to separate and go for it. Got any spare tanks? I only have 3 footers laying around ;)