Gourami Breeding

miskell.a

Well, I think I have slipped up. I had a community tank setup, and unfortunaely, when I moved a few fish were stressed pretty bad, so I moved them to another tank so the other fish wouldnt bother them. This left my two gourami's in one tank. A three spot (huge!) and a honey. Now, the honey is ENGORGED. She must be gravid. I have now set up another tank, with sand at the bottom, about 10 in of water, no filter or air (I heard this disturbs the nest, although am worried about water quality with no filter) Lots of hiding room for the female, and a floating log and some sponges. Is this acceptable for the breeding tank? am urgently waiting a reply. I will be grateful for any help. oh..also, the room i have it setup in gets very warm during the day, and have an automatic heater for the cooler nights. also, what the procedure? female in breeding tank first, add male, make bubble nest, take both out?

hi Miskell.a

Welcome to the forum!! you can introduce yourself to the welcome section of the site, and let us know more what youre interest are.

well, i no expert on gourami breeding but i have spawn bettas lately.

for filtration, sponge filter is good, but keep the air barely bubbling. this will not actually disturb the bubble nest and still keeps the tank cycled. some people prefer no filtration as the fry can eat the infusuria as the water go green. from what i saw from the post, are u trying to breed a A three spotted gourami with a honey gourami? if so, this wont work as they are two different types of gouramis.

but for breeding honey gouramis, Mating can usually be triggered by lowering the water level and raising the water temperature. The the male will start building nest is made at the surface among the floating plants. The male courts the female under the nest, where he curls around her and turns her belly-up. The eggs are laid and fertilized in this position. The eggs float up to the nest where the male will keep a constant watch. He will chase away all intruders including the female, as well as keeping the nest in constant repair. this is when you remove the female.

Any eggs or fry that fall from the nest will be quickly scooped up and gently spat back into the nest by the male. The eggs hatch in about twenty-five to thirty hours and the fry become free swimming in four to five days. when the fry started wonder off from the father and looking for food. this is when u remove the male. it is best to feed fry live food.

higher water temperature should be maintained for several weeks after hatching to keep fry growing.

hope this helps.

shiuh :wink:

mistake...its NOT a honey gourami. After viewing many pictures, I am definately sure that this is a gold gourami, which I understand to be just a color variation of the blue gourami. I will try to take a pic of the breeding tank with her in it and post it up here. She definatley has the darker stripes along the body, and is not the honey color.

Yes

That is how most breeders will condition their fish for breeding,

getting them full of row in a fit condition to be able to take a bit of a bash, and to be ready for the male.

If you do get her to spawn, remove her from the tank as the male will hammer her,

may be to death.

Alan 104