The Dwarf Cichlids

Faran

When they pair up they'll seriously act like a couple. They'll work together to fight off competition, etc. The females look much like the males but MUCH smaller with a fat red tummy. Feed them lots of protein and give them a spot with a flat stone. If they're really a couple, they'll "reside" in a certain area together and will guard it against other fish. Move the flat stone to them, not vice versa.

When they'r ready to spawn, they'll start cleaning the stone or possibly dig a pit for them. The spawning behaviour is unmistakeable - they first take turns cleaning the stone then touching it with the bottom of their bellies. The female will have a new appendage coming out from the anus area (her ovipositor) and will often touch the rock (that they are cleaning) with it to see if it's suitable. The male will have a similar growth which he'll use to milt the eggs and fertilize them.

I videotaped te cleaning behavior and laying/fertiization of the eggs today. Will see about grabbing some pics and putting them up for future reference.

By the way, fishy. You can't sex them by colouration. The submissive male in the tank will have lighter colours and lay down his fins compared to the colourful, cocky dominant male. It's really about the size and the round tummy. Feed them lots of protein (mine eat Discus Tucker) and spawning should happen pretty soon. Do some reading online (Google "breeding blue rams cichlid") and you'll find all you need to know. They like warmer water and low pH and are well suited to discus tanks.

Size doesnt help in sexing Blue Ram, Females can be bigger or smaller, it depends on age and food availability. Males can have the same amount of red in there tummys as the female. Finiage can be a helpful factor in determining sex, males have higher and bigger dorsal fins, with a long black point at the front, but again i have seen females with this aswell. Keep them in a stable tank, and what i mean by that, is dont move a stone to them, it could put them off, have places in the tank that they can readily spawn on, try not to get to close to were they've spawned, leave them be, if they feel threatend by you they can and will eat the eggs. I no it seems exciting that they've spawned and there doing there parenting thing, but you have a higher chance of a succesful spawn if your not putting ur face right up to the tank to stare at them every few minutes, or as some, iv heard of getting up in the middle of the night with a torch to see if the eggs have hatched yet, and they wake up in the moring to find there gone, because the parents felt threatened.

The dwarf flag in your bag (poetic) looks exactly like my male, accept because it is stressed it has lost some colour. Im currently breeding the Dwarf Flags, will let you know when i have some available. Unless steve has some available first.

Shae

Shae

My rams seem to be setting up house and are cleaning a rock together and chasing off the clown loaches when they butt in.

My stupid question for the day is, the rock they have chosen is on a steep angle and I am worried the eggs will slide off. :oops: OK now I have said it out loud I feel better LOL.

:lol:

nope

the eggs wont slide of

They are what appears, fairly forcefully forced onto the stone.

They make a real good job at cleaning the rock so as the eggs do stick well.

Occasionally you'll see an egg fall off but this is usually due to laying on top of another egg.

Alan 104

Hmm ok it seems part of another thread was inserted into this one LOL.

Yur welcome to some Pearly when they breed.

They have had a few batches of eggs, but it seems they EAT the damn things not long after! :o I have told them off (again) and said to them that if they are gonna eat them, I will take them away!

BAD FISHY! lol! :lol:

Wicked, let me know if you get some bubs.

Cheers

The thread was split from the one asking about the Identity of a fish in the Freshwater Section..

Don't know how.. but there seems to be posts "above" where I split the thread... which was on your post PR just above MV's.

The topic diverted to Dwarf Cichlids.. so the thread was split.

The other thread is here:

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/identi ... t8430.html

Bill.

By the way, I just sat down and read Shae's post. Get those cameras out of my house! How did you know!!!

Just kidding. We never got up and checked on them with a torch but a parade of people did have a nosey (Sat night with guests over) and I'm sure I didn't help with the digital camera right next to them trying to snap pics. So yeah, they ate up the eggs. Get to try again in 2 weeks!