Hospital tank

GeeTee

I have aquired a 25-30 litre 20 inch tank and thought I might set it up as a hospital tank(or fry).

Am looking at a 50 watt heater, and am unsure whether to go for an internal filter or an air pump and just airate the water.

Please let me know of any other necessities.

Any advice appreciated

Greg

A corner box filter is about the cheapest tank accessory around.

Pay a bit more for the air-pump and get a reasonably powerful one.

You never have too much air.

Run the box-filter in the main tank for a couple of weeks, to seed it,

then just flick it over to the Q tank.

Then keep a couple of spare fish in there to keep it ticking over for you.

Alan 104

I would use fresh water so there is less chance of any nasties being in the water.

You would need an air pump (get a pretty good one for $20-$30) and the corner filter, these usually come with filter wool and you can fill it with whatever media you want for extra biological filtration, a mate uses quite a few in his breeding tanks and just uses some substrate for a bio filter and you can pick them up for $6 or $7 so pretty cheap filtration.

I have a hospital tank that I'll be using for fry. I've decided to put in some gravel and such, but will be "nuking" the tank with a 30cm UV light before putting the youngsters in. I'll just be removing the filter and running it in a bucket until the light is off (1/2 an hour should do). Think this is a decent idea or should I BBT it?

I'll agree.. get a corner or foam filter from the lfs (about $7-$10) and put it in one of your working tanks for a week or so. I found even after 3-4 days in the main tank when I hurled it in the 20L fry tank they were fine (was doing 50% waterchanges daily before, now do %10/weekly)

Main thing is to get it seeded from a tank that's well settled :)

B&K, as fry tanks are fed heavily and to enable the snails job to be simple.

BBT's all the time.

Why put in a small layer of substrate.

Ever been a fry looking for micro worm or white worm when all that stuff is hiding it from you??

Alan 104

Good point... now I need to go and figure out how to get that gravel out in an orderly fashion. Will be noisy, but I guess vaccuming with a straight hose into a bucket will do.

As for filtration - simple sponge filter all the way. They're great items to have handy in any tank, whether as a primary filter in your hospital/fry tank or as a secondary filter in a big tank for micro-filtration.