Paradise Thugs

Darryl Mcg

Hi There

After ignoring all advise I purchased a pair of Paradise fish and let them loose in my community tank. After witnessing a couple of days of aggresive behaviour towards my small Gouramis and Platys I figured the pecking order would sort itself out and all would be well again.

Not so. The male persistantly stalked my siamese fighter and would attack whenever the fighter let down his guard. The female actively stalked my female golden Gouramis. Then I noticed a Platy and a female Gourami had each lost an eye. I know the female paradise got the Gourami for sure, as I witnessed her trying to finnish what she had started.

Also my adult 3 spot Gourami male has now spent the last few days hiding in his cave and haven't seen him out swimming or feeding. Yet I know he is there, as I can see in his cave. Probably related?

The Paradise's are gone and I would advise people considering adding them to a community tank to think again.

Otherwise

aint fishing fun

Darryl

Hi Allan

The Paradise fish now live in a friends 40 litre gold fish tank heated to 23 degrees. I havn't as yet had any updates on what is happening but I will check on them this weekend.

My one eyed Platy and Golden Gourami are still in the tank. Is there a chance of infecting the other fish?. They don't look entirely happy, and the Gourami now swims a bit lop sided. I have added stress-coat to the tank (215 l) but have not applied any other first aid.

Regards

Darryl

Alan with on ell replies.

Infect with what.

They have had a traumatic injury that MAY develop fungus which can be treated with methylene blue but otherwise just add some salt to the tank at a teaspoon / four litres. Dissolved first of course.

The eye cavities will scar over and the fish will seem to have no adverse effcts.

Why are the goldfish in a heated tank??

Conserve energy where possible and save money.

Paradise don't mind the cold at all.

Alan 104

Thanks for replying Alan

That was my concern i.e. infection of the socket wound before healing.

The 23 degree gold fish tank was my idea a couple of weeks ago. I had moving a pair of platys to breed in mind. As the tank is my old one given on loan I was hoping to encourage them to go tropical. I was aware the paradise fish could survive happily in cold water so I guess the likelyhood now is to drift back to cold again.

Thanks

MMM.. Didn't take long for them to show what they can be like.

I remember mentioning it to you in the welcome section a week back.

"Paradise"... Great looking fish .. especially when they start spawning.. but can be a bit boisterous at times.

Hope your fish get well.

Bill.

Thanks for the welcome Pegasus, I did read your cautionary note in the welcome area. Too late I had them, and I did ignore advice not to. Thats part of the learning curve,(learning to curb the desire for one more pair of something).

Vapo, relax, the gold fish tank is now moving back to room temp, gold fish and paradises seem to be getting along. From what Ive been told the paradises have right of way at all times, but they dont chase the goldfish.

I did intend to move a sexy pair of platys and talk my friend into donating the gold fish to our indoor pond at work. However well see how things pan out.