Photo of your discus

Discusguru

i agree luke, while colour, size and pattern are stunning the head is its downfall.

its quite amazing that he won because of his forehead :o i think the forehead to dorsal transition would be fine if it wasnt for the bump right in front. i wonder if he was upset in that photo which caused his eye to lighten.

can you tell we go thru the simplydiscus university and watch how they grade fish? :lol:

some of the fish in the international competitions blow my mind, i saw some pics of ones for sale at the ACA- they were so cheap! $40 for something we would pay well over 100 for (darn americans get all the luck! :lol: )

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

problem is some of the discus import here are cheap quality and the marking up price you won't believe

I don’t believe that is the case, it is expensive to bring fish in as airfreight and maf costs are high.

We have had a few hobbyists moan about marine fish so that started up and import fish.

Reality has set in and their prices are even more than previous importers.

Some very nice discus pics, i think i will set up a discus tank after seeing these discus.

Does anyone use ozone and protein skimmer to get beter water quality .

it is expensive to bring in fish but not as expensive as some are going for. i wont be paying 30-40 for a 3cm fish thats shaped like a rugby ball just cause its come from over seas when i can buy local and get great quality, healthy, hormone free fish that are normally alot bigger too.

LFS are a shocker for it- their suppliers put on their markup which is fine and then the shop puts on their markup (thats fine too cause they have to make money) but the fact they are discus drives the price up even higher. i have seen fish selling at 150 each that many breeders would have culled (dodgy fins, poor body shape etc), i am wondering why they arent selling good quality discus for that price :-?

i personally would rather pay a little extra for good quality discus than skimping on the cash and getting a new football collection :lol:

reef- if your user name is anything to go by welcome to the dark side :lol: discus are neat fish and they have some pretty neat personalities once you get to know them. my lot are known as the 'overgrown cd's' in my house :lol:

its a shame we are the bottom of the chain, i think asia, europe and the states get top picks then it goes down the list to us? you are right about small orders, not many people are going to be buying in excess of 500 at a time.

IME getting discus to breed is easy, my discus try to breed more readily than my cories or bristlenose- its raising the babies thats the hard part and thats where you can pick out the men from the boys :lol: raising babies is extremely hard work and only the most commited breeders will put in the effort :bow: i personally wouldnt be able to hack it :lol: also crossing is a problem, your average hobbiest isnt going to care if two different strains pair up and they dont have the room to set up specific tanks of one strain.

i think the discus quality is improving in our country thanks to a few wonderful breeders and we will all be better off in the long run because they have put in the hard yards :hail:

No you are wrong, is not what you all think.

Is whether the importer is willing to buy good quality discus. Order can be big or small, is all up to the importer.

The problem is, this people only buy cheap fish, about US$2 to US$5 fish. For this low price is poor in quality. And what happen is they mark up the price so much that it sound like good quality fish. This people are money lover not fish lover, so they don't care about quality.

The big problem is the importer buy poor quality and small fish and want the fish to look nice, but this kind of fish will not show much colours and patterns, so what the seller do is using hormones to being up the colours and patterns. In this way when the fish is here they can sell the fish fast, that why the fish died so fast. They don't care. :evil:

Yea, but that'd prob just end up like the guppies, or amazon fish. Don't get me wrong, I'd be all for bettering the quality of discus in this country, however, there would have to be a LOT of interest for it to happen. High quality discus would come with a high quality price tag too, if they're anything like the prices of the ones already, which some people I am sure would find slightly unappealing.

Pushing for importers to bring in highter quality discus???

You know, 2 days ago I was told that, importer Aquarius have some Red Spotted Green and Leopard. So I place an order for 2 Red Spotted Green and 2 Leopard. The discus arrivel today so I go and pisk up the fish from the fishshop. Do you know what I found, 2 poor skinny Red Spotted Green :cry: and 2 (Leopard???) :o, was told is a Leopard, but is not, when I look at the discus is 100% a Pigeon. How can Aquarius say is a Leopard, when is not. :oops:

Just imagine, how are we going to ask this people to bring in higher quality discus where they don't even know what discus they are selling.

agreed, while the importers often see the pictures its down to the exporters to send over the right stock and when the importers know little about the fish they are unable to spot the difference.

i would also pay more for higher quality discus but i would draw a line, not because i dont want to spend X amount of dollars but because i cant (im a poor student) :lol:

Sorry to hear your experience Chin I hope you didn't pay top dollar, though I'm guessing you did, unless you didn't go through with the deal? (to put it nicely).

Hehe...good Sharn pleased to hear you 'would' spend dollars on quality if you 'could' :D