Bristleworms

Chikan

Yesterday morning I had a temperature drop in one of my reef tanks due to the failure of a heater. I noticed that the bristleworms in the tank started appearing and seemed to expel fluid like they were either spawning or spewing their guts like sea cucumbers due. I have read that they spawn rapidly in overfeed tanks, pose no threat to other animals and shouldn't worry about them. Just wondering if firstly should I be concerned about a population in the tank and secondly is this behaviour common and was the temp drop like a environmental trigger to spawn etc. An input would be great.

The temp dropped to about 20-21 overnight and witnesssed the behaviour at about 8.00am. I'm just curious what the behaviour was whether they were actually spawning or they were eviscreting like sea cucumbers. I have read that the actual worm poses no threat to fish or invert just the aquarist.

I had a big grey worm appear recently in a predator fish free tank. What I could see out of the rock was a good 10cm long, 8mm wide. It was sticking out eating fish food that had landed on the rock while the lights were on. Haven't seen it since and probably never will. My tank at home crawls with worms.