Weird Question

Billaney

Can you microwave marbles to kill snail eggs? :o

seems like a strange question but i use marbles to protect the eggs for egg scatterers from the parnents and somehow got snails in that tank, its almost impossable to clean every single marble one at a time to get all the eggs off so thought of this as an way off killing them all easy , :-?

Has anyone tried it ? do you think it would work and is it safe to zap marbles ? :roll:

I'm no expert on snail eggs but glass marbles would be microwave safe. :D If the marbles are dry you would need to put a glass of water in the microwave too.

Wouldn't pouring boiling water over the marbles be effective? Or am I underestimating the ability of snail eggs to survive?

I agree Bill Marbles are not the the ideal answer in this case ( they did work perfect with breeding danios's), but the experiment with microwaving the marbles HAS seemed to have worked :D no sign of any snails in the tank there in now .

Was just worth a try and my help others 8)

One advantage that there "is" with the marbles, is that it allows you to "see" them spawning, whereas net and the mesh basket tank inserts (like on my site).. don't let you see what's going on.

I think the thing I hated most about the marbles (which I tried a few times).. was getting them out afterwards, as to be effective you needed a few layers. :)

The stuff I use to use was called "Netlon" from the garden centers, and it was a semi rigid plastic mesh with approx 3-4mm holes on in it.

This was "welded" with a hot knife into a basket shape that just dropped into the tank and was held by pegs.