Safe water?

Caper

I am going to start using tap water; however, our water contains chloramine and chlorine.

I have used the tap water before but always after sitting in a bucket for 24 hours and then adding "Start Right" to remove chlorine and chloramine. It is my understanding that just letting water sit does not remove the chloramine, am I right? So I always add the start right.

I only have 2 buckets so I thought I would refill my 10L bottles.

Will just leaving the cap off be sufficient (as opposed to an open bucket)?

Would anybody know how long these chlorine/chloramine removers take to work? The bottle states "makes water safe for fish immediately".

All help would...as always...be appreciated :hail::hail:

I know I have to let the water come to at least room temp 8)

Hiya Caper, been a while!

I'll try and answer some of the posts from today in one go. First of all, the water. Now, ideally you want to use rainwater (even toxins from old house pipes can kill your fish) but if you can't do the rainwater thing, then you should add aged water during water changes. Now, aged water is either water that you've left to sit for at least 24 hours or water that you've used a water ager/de-chlorinator on. Keep in mind that you can do either-or. Now, as for the water bottles, that's a no for time-aging. There's not enough water surface on the little neck of the bottle for proper aeration and chemical dissipation. Perhaps if you only fill them up 80% (before they start getting narrow at the top). You may as well get some buckets instead, as they'll be easier to handle probably.

So yeah, you can add water ager (Start Right) and use the water right away as it'll dissolve the chlorine and chloramine, if you don't have it handy then let the water sit. Here in NZ we can practically use water straight from the tap (bar bad piping) as most places have almost chemical-free water. Just a little chlorine to kill a few bugs.

I also saw a post about brakish water. That's when you add sea salts to a freshwater tank to simulate marsh-like conditions for the few fish in our hobby that live in rivers near the ocean - like puffers, archer fish, mono angels and a few others. Basically, if it says "brackish" it means "salty".

That's about it!

Howdy :P

Got home Monday night but didn't get a chance to come here. Was getting ready to go online last night, MAJOR thunderstorm. Wouldn't even think of using computer! Just sat here hoping the power wouldn't go out...thinking of my fishies! Cat was already hiding under the bed :lol:

ideally you want to use rainwater

Not something I can do.

are you sure water-ager removes chlomine from the water

Yes, the "Start Right" is to remove chlorine & chloramine.

water that you've used a water ager/de-chlorinator

Good, just wanted to be sure that it could be used earlier than the 24 hour time frame if needed.

Now, as for the water bottles, that's a no for time-aging

Ok, not for the time factor...but still okay using the de-chlorantor/chloramine, right?

I was just using bottled water but if I start using the tap water all the time it would still be ok, right?

THANK YOU :P:P:hail::hail:

Thanks Hummingbird!

I read on the internet (don't remember where) how to check your tap water for pH...think it was a cup...and had to leave it sit for a period of time...hmmmm...must try to find that place :-?