Bolivian Butterfly

GeeTee

I was in the lfs on the weekend and saw these and it said they were a good community fish.Was just keen to see if anyone is keeping them in a community tank and if so how do they go?

Was going to get some Kribensis but the lfs said she had a pair and the male killed the female,so not sure now

Maybe more females,2-1 perhaps for the krib and the butterfly perhaps.

Greg

Was going to get some Kribensis but the lfs said she had a pair and the male killed the female,so not sure now

Maybe more females,2-1 perhaps for the krib and the butterfly perhaps.

Well if they were a true pair that is a very rare occurence. They are aggressive only when spawning and when protecting their fry. They are particulary aggressive toward other kribs. As for putting in two females and 1 male that is asking for trouble. In general Kribensis are very easy to breed. They need a cave. They mate for life one male and one female and generally the female is the one that bully's the male - Generally he is not allowed in the nest / cave after spawning and if he goes in he gets booted out quick smart by the female who hardly leaves the cave. I doubt very much whether you would get any success with 1 male and 2 females until 1 female is killed. You would need a minimum 4 foot tank heavily planted with two distinct areas to have any chance of having two pairs spawn at the same time.

If your LFS can't breed kribs I'd say time to shop around :-?

Hi There,

I have had a pair of the bolivian rams for a couple of years now and they have always been in a community tank, and still are, with no problems.

Great fish and awesome colours, from the looks of it We have a pair, but they have never even looked like spawning, but hope to in the future.

B

I have a male and two female bolivians. They are an interesting fish to watch. Since i have had them (only a couple of months) the male has spawned continuously first with one female and then the other and then back to the first and so on. The fry get to the free swimming stage and manage to last four to five days before they die off. I dont feed the fry so i guess they die of starvation as well as getting picked off by the tetras.

When they have gone its only a day or two auntil there are more eggs.

I would set up another tank for the fry and grow them on but there would be too many too often to get rid of!

They agressively chase away the tetras but dont bother with the BN's.

My substrate is sand and they like to dig holes to move the eggs and then fry into but they dont uproot the plants.

I really like them and are glad i have them.

I think it's kind of mean to let the fry perish like that. Just my 2 cents. When my fish are happy enough to mate, I try and set things up so they get a good chance of surviving and the fish get to raise young like their instincts tell them to. Besides, if you ask the LFS how much you could sell juveniles back to them for, you might be pleasantly suprised. It pays for an expensive hobby just a bit...

I'd love to leave my kribs in their home - but the truth is it's just too tough on the other fish in the community tank that these horny cichlids keep breeding in - well sort of but it's even harder trying to get enough food to the fry - damn near impossible to feed brine shrimp in a 250 litres - and I also need to cover up the intake on the filter which gets blocked - and and and and :o - I'm going to seperate the parents soon. I don't have the space (plenty of spare tanks but) to set them up a home but one of these days. I'm not sure the local LFS would enjoy having every second customer turning up to trade in Kribs but it's worth a try.

You reacon not?

What about when NZKA members take in fish who's parents cost $54 a pair.

LFS buy the kids for $5 then resell for $15 plus plus.

Just got an exporters list yesterday.

Golden Wonders

- Exporter- - - - .25c each

- - LFS - - - $11 each

The one all NZKA members are interested getting into NZ is the Nothobranchius rachovii

- - - Exporters price - - - $3.80

- - - - LFS - - - the skies the limit if you do a similar %age mark up.

But bet they are cose to $80 a pair, maybe more. - - OUCH - -.

But we'd still buy them.

Alan 104