Stuck Fish!

Zedd

We have had two fish die for no apparent reason - except maybe being stuck. They both died wedged behind a large piece of wood in the tank.

We are new to this and are unsure whether they swum in there and got stuck or were dieing and went there for that reason. Other than being dead they both seemed perfectly fine. The first one (a small silver shark) died last Saturday. And our lovely male Gourami was dead when I got home tonight.

Obviously we have taken the wood out now but I guess the question is are fish stupid enough to swim into something they can't get out of or was there possibly another reason.

yes, fish are stupid enough to swim into something they can't get out of.

we had problems with a goldfish that kept wedging himself inside an ornament and he would have died numerous times if it wasn't for the fact we kept having to pull him out backwards by the tail. we ended up stuffing the ornament with filter wool to stop him from doing it.

Thanks for that seems like we placed the wood badly! Now I feel real bad! If anyone was a bully it was the gourami and he mainly chased the other (female) gourami away from food, it never looked to serious though. We are in the process of changing things around yet again. Real sad to loose him he was just starting to get really colourful.

Maybe it was a bully chasing them in there - I don't think they're dumb - just think if you never ever left your house - Wouldn't you want to investigate all the littlest nooks and crannies you could find. The worst one I had is I was using a internal power filter without it's little pipe thingamabob that sticks out of the outlet. More flow that way - small hole about 10mm diameter.

I lost a flying fox one day - looked like it had it's head chewed. Blamed the kribs. A few days later I heard this massive clunk come from the tank and saw a 4cm krib that had been killed when it stuck its head in the hole to check out the haps and got wasted by the impellor. Bugger :o wont make that mistake again.

:o Hi, first let me say we are really new to this and are so glad to have found your forum. I am sure it has saved us from major disaster.

We got a tank and fish for my sons 12th birthday earlier this month and have had a fairly steep learning curve.

We had two fish die in the weekend :( a platy and an angel. I think the angel was stuck behind the heater cos my husband said it was really hard to get him out and the platy was found inside an ornament so not sure what happened there.

oh sorry to ramble on just frustrated to have lost two fish in one day.

Robbie