plant baskets etc...

TerminalAddict

Recntly I converted my tank to a planted scape which is working perfect.

I emptied the whole thing, and put in about an inch of substrate, bought 5 bulbs, and have just got co2 feed in the last week.

Couple of things bother me.

1. I have an amazon sword that is about 1 foot high, but is still in its "basket" that was in when purchased. Is there a nice way of securing plants to the ground?

2. My tank is nearly 2 foot deep, any clever tips on how to work with plants when I can't reach the bottom of the tank?

You should remove the plant from its basket, it might restrict the root but more importantly the brown/tan stuff they usually use in them is made from fiberglass (like pink bats) and can get into the fish gills and irritate them. Cut the basket off and remove as much of the tan stuff as possible (washing under the tap helps with this), trim the root to a couple of inches long and then just push it into the gravel, it should hold itself in there.

For tanks that are too deep to reach you can buy grabber things, they can be a bit expensive but it is worth paying for a better one cause the cheaper ones can be a pain, sticking etc.