White worms on the side of the tank

PENEJANE

What could they be?? My female guppy that died during the night :cry: even after trying to help her get her babies out. I have discovered this morning that there are a whole pile of little white worms on the side of the tank expecially where the breeding trap was that she was in.

Am I in trouble and how can I get rid of them?

Cheers :bow:

Hi Penejane,

Sorry to hear of your loss.

The "worms" you are referring to are most likely planaria worms.

You ask:

Am I in trouble and how can I get rid of them?

Real serious trouble I'm afraid.. as you are "possibly" guilty of overfeeding :)

The simple cure is lots of water changes.. removing as many as you can... plus reduce your feeding to half what you are giving them at the moment.

It is "highly" unlikely that they were responsible for your loss... so don't be concerned, although I would check your ammonia levels if you have a kit, as overfeeding can cause it to rise.

PS:

Hide the fish food so that only YOU are doing the feeding :)

Bill.

the tank is mine and no one else in the house feeds them or even bothers to do anything with the tank. I did a water change yesterday which is what is bothering me. I have had an ammonia problem for the last two weeks which I am slowly getting down with water changes which is why I can't get over how these things seemed to of appeared overnight. The only thing I can think of is that I added two new pieces of drift wood to the tank :( they had been soaking and were often rinsed under hot water and scrubbed.

Going to do a water change now and its only 8am!! I won't feed them in the morning no more and only feed them in the evening to see if this will come down or would I be best to feed in the morning and not at night? I have been giving them frozen blood worms and livebearer flakes.

Totaly freaked out at the moment :(

Geez... that was quick he he.

No point stressing out Penejane... they are not infectious, nor can they (as far as I know).. kill your fish.

As you say... they DO suddenly appear, and quite often they will disappear just as quickly.

Look at it as "an early warning sign".. and the reduction in feed will soon erradicate them.

Seems I guessed right about the ammonia.

Now "that" you should be a little concerned over.. but not unduly.

Just do a few water changes.. reduce the feeding.. and you will come right.

Take care now :)

Bill.

yeah I picked up on the ammonia prob a couple of weeks ago and have been doing daily water changes since then and checking the levels daily but I have never seen these things before and believe me I do spend a lot of time kneeling in the hallway watching my beautiful fishies. But will be saddend today becuase one of my best 1/2 black female died.

Hopefully she dropped a few babies before she went.

I too lost a great female just over a week ago, but she was quite an old girl and had given me some fine breeding stock which have since grown on and some that I didn't separate have produced fry of their own.

She was producing pretty pure stock, as almost all the male fry were identical to the male with flaming red tails, and the females were all pretty much like the one I lost, so where I had one beautiful lady, I now have several dozen of which about twenty are wearing chastity belts in preperation for some serious selective breeding :)

Great stuff.

Bill.

lol my husband has thoes on his daughters lol unfortunatly I didn't get any fry off her but I do still have one other 1/2 black female just that this one gave me bigger drops as the other one is smaller.

Well water change is done, lets hope that the problem starts to dissapear!!

I didn't get any fry off her but I do still have one other 1/2 black female just that this one gave me bigger drops as the other one is smaller

Something is wrong here :)

You say you didn't get any fry from her, but you say she gave bigger drops... so you MUST have some of her fry somewhere he he.

Settle down now, and think what you did with them he he.

lol my husband has thoes on his daughters lol

Don't understand this bit... might be that I have just done an all nighter and have yet to get some sleep.. or is it two days I have been awake... can't remember he he.

Bill.

LOL I was talking about the chasity belts that you put on your young female guppies. Well my husband wants to do that with our daughters.

With not getting any fry I ment this time. She was due to have babies anytime this week but obviously I wasn't going to get anything this time. The fry that I had from her the time before were 80% rejected because they just didn't develop their fins properly so I had to dump them. I have also had a lot of fry that when they grow up their body shape is very skinny and lanky looking. Not the plumpy rounded tummy that your supposed to get.

But I will not feed them for two days and see how we go.

Cheers Bill for the quick response. I was ready to pull my hair out this morning and I was all :cry: as I thought I was going to lose the whole tank.

Hi PJ,

Those little white worms are interesting buggers. They're often referred to as Planaria, but Planaria have eyes and these guys seem more like little white worms (hairlike) which are simply the development of overfeeding. A few water changes and slowing down on the feeding is the proper action, and they'll disappear soon.

Sorry to hear about your guppy :( I just recently got some nice stock from a local breeder and they're gorgeous. I got 3 snakeskin males and some "sunburst" and "peacocks". The sunburst are shades or orange and red through the body and tail and the peacocks look like feeder guppies at the moment but I saw adults and they're lyretails with amazing colours through the body and a peacock eye on the base of the tail. Really happy with the new lot of guppies in the tank.

So, if guppy breeding stock is slim down there and you want a nice load sent down give me a buzz. I hope you have some spare tanks to spare because even though they're only about $2 each shipping to Invercargill can be pricey so you better get a good number!

Blue

I would love a snake skin!!!!! I had one but it died with in 12 hrs of buying it. My tank is 90ltrs (2ft) and I have a 20ltr fry tank in the process also. I would love to try crossing my golden female with my 3/4 black but I will have to wait untill she has droped her next lot of fry :D