Lost a tetra... will the rest of the fish be okay?

Melanie

I had four neon tetras in my tank. Three grew steadily; the fourth got smaller and scrawnier. He broke away from the school and the others began to pick on him. Last night, I noticed they wouldn't let him eat. I scared them away and made sure food was right beside his mouth, but he still wouldn't eat.

I asked my more knowledgable partner what to do; he said to buy a couple more tetra so they wouldn't focus on giving the little guy trouble. Unfortunately next thing I knew, I looked over at the tank and the snail was eating the scrawny tetra. I smacked the snail with a spoon, but the tetra was already dead.

What could have been wrong with the poor little guy? And is it something the rest of my fish could catch?

Melanie...sorry to hear about your fish :(

I'm only new to this and have lost...more than one tetra. Any that I've lost so far have always been new to the tank.

How long was your tank running before you put them in?

Are they the only fish you have?

Did you notice anything else different...color, fin condition?

I'm just trying to get you going with more information so those with more experience can offer advice as to what may have happened.

Oh...and just because you lost one...doesn't necessarily mean the others will die as well.

Sorry, just read another post you put here...so people do know your set up...sorry...didn't realize you were the same person!

Neons are schooling fish. With only 4 it is easy for one to become the runt and not grow. As the others get bigger they will start picking on it. As it deteriorates due to this, they will regard it as food. Ain't nature grand?

I recommend a minimum of 6 when buying schooling fish.

Neons are schooling fish. With only 4 it is easy for one to become the runt and not grow. As the others get bigger they will start picking on it. As it deteriorates due to this, they will regard it as food. Ain't nature grand?

I recommend a minimum of 6 when buying schooling fish.

I got the Tetras to cycle my tank; I wanted a few more, but when I went back to the store, there weren't any left. I'll get some more soon. Poor little guy. :(

How long was your tank running before you put them in?

Are they the only fish you have?

Did you notice anything else different...color, fin condition?

None of the other fish look bad at all. The tank had been going a week before I put them in and all of them lived for I'd say a month before this little one died.

I also have guppies and two little minnows in my tank. The mollies have sadly passed on, as well, but that was shortly after I got them.