kelly tarltons

chimera

took the wife and daughter to visit kelly tarltons today. its been about 15 years since i last went! the penguins were cool (excuse the pun) and the stingray tank awesome too. 220kg stingray is the largest fish they have there, she was HUGE. amazing to watch them feed.

one of the marine tanks was riddled with cyano. all sand, rocks covered in it. quite embarassing for a public display tank i thought - even though most of the public probably thought it looked 'pretty'. the other tank (clowns) had a loan aiptasia :D although pretty basic too. it would be nice to see a really good reef tank there. even though thats not what nzl is about, having a coral reef on display to the nz public would be a good way to get people interested in the hobby.

so why don't you guys offer to do one for them, have it so you guys do one set of maintenance every x amount of time, and keep a real nice tank there, with maybe the web address to here4 for anyone that is interested into looking into one of thier own.

Good to hear you enjoyed Kelly Tarltons too, must get up that way again soon.

B

I have a pretty good source that Kellys will have a reef tank shortly. When you apply for funding there you have to justify in a number of ways, including a education learning program and a purpose. The current tanks there a poor design, still use big biofilters and are overfeed. Unfortunely when aquarists look at the tanks they see faults due to maintanence, but the kids and 80% of the public enjoys them and the nemos. Unfortunely there is only so many hours in a day to maintain so many tanks.

I realise the time + Maintenance theory myself, as we currently have 10 tanks 3ft plus here, and all I was suggesting was for those that wish to dedicate SOME time to it, it would be a good way of getting more interest into the hobby.

If you have a tank and and a little plaque with it stating it is maintained by the members of fnzas saltwater section with the address to this site or little business cards with the forum address on it, you may get more people enthused about it, therefore more demand and cheaper prices, is that not what you guys are always talking about, supply and demand.

B