Pearl Gourami lost its blue

r0bbie

Hey Guys,

I have a pearl gourami that has lost all of its blue spots. It does not seem stressed and eats normally. Any help would be appreciated.

I must restore its blue spots, I am pretty sure it is starting to effect its self esteem.

How's the gourami now? Have any other colours changed? I hear the males go quite orange under the throat when they're ready to breed. Our pearl was quite a stressed wee chap when we first got him, but his colours came out (esp. his spots) after he settled in. He was still eating while he was stressed and used to swim up and down the glass in the corner of the tank, but now he's the boss and hangs out in the middle.

Cheers,

Vapo.

Fading colour and/or changing behaviour are often signs of stress. How many other gourami are in there? Our gold female was very shy and hid behind the filter til we put three more in the tank, 1 male pearl, 1 blue female and 1 opaline female. Most opinions I've heard or read, say keep 2 females per male as a general rule. Also, we put another mid-water obect in there - a big stump - so they had something to hide behind. It may just be trying to hide. Do you have many mid-height plants/ornaments?

It's been 3 weeks since we did all of that and now she's as happy as Larry. She stayed a bit shy for a while and still hid a lot, but after a few days she was chasing the others around. A couple of days after that, they'd sorted their heirarchy, she's the boss of the women and everyone was pretty chilled. Now she's coming up to the glass to say hello whenever we come in the room and touching the glass with her feelers, they all do it. Anyway, I hope your fish cheers up.

Good luck,

Vapo.