Neon tetras started loosing eyes

Fish4life

2 days ago I found out that one of my neon tetras was missing an eye but today when I was watching them eat I saw that another of my neon tetras now lost and eye. i had just got my tank on the 16/11/2023 and am new to the concept of caring for fish. I have 14 neon tetras in the tank, two glowlight tetras and 3 bristlenose catfish. Can someone explain why my 2 neon tetras lost there eyes and if there is a way to prevent it thanks :)

Welcome to the forums!

Have you tested the water pH, nitrates and nitrites? Neons are very sensitive to water conditions and I suspect adding them to a new tank is the problem as they need a well established tank. Have you read about cycling and how important it is?

I always cycled a tank with guppies or any hardy fish a similar size. If I had a 2ft tank, I would start with 4 guppies, wait 1 month then add another 4 and repeat until the required stocking level was reached. Never lost a fish as this method built up the good bacteria to match the fish numbers.

A 3ft tank I would start with 6 guppy sized fish and repeat as above. A 4ft tank got 8 guppy sized fish.