New To MArine Keeping! - Help me out?

Pies

Just wondering... these Rio pumps... are they good enough for say a 4ft tank? I have ppl telling me all the time I need a canister filter for bigger tanks...

And also wondering... does anyone in NZ have a lionfish in their tank? I would doubt it... as it seems there aren't even a lot with marine tanks... Come to think of it... maybe they are classified as noxioius? anyone know this?

The RIO pump, is just a pump, not a filter. A canister filter is driven by a pump though, typically somewhere upto 1000ltrs an hr, the bigest RIO pump is 4200 liters an hr, this is a LOT of pump power. I need the huge volume pump to return water from my sump back to the tank (a sump is just another tank used to house all your equipment, so there is nothing in the tank).

A canister filter is suitable for freshwater tanks, or fish-only marine tanks, but not in reef tanks/invert tanks. My experance with freshwater fish is that a canister filter would be a 'must have' on a 4 ft tank. My 4ft tank has 2 1500ltr an hr canister filters installed.

LION FISH - Truely awesome! I saw 3 of them on a wreck i was diving in Malysia this year. A real highlight of my trip. As for them in NZ, I have been told that there are none & that they are unable to be imported because of the toxins. I can-not confirm this but the person who told me was fairly knowledgeable on the subject. There is not one at the Napier aquairum but maybee at kelly taltons? (sp?)

Your quite right lionfish are not allowed in NZ HOWEVER i have heard from a good source that they do sometimes hang around poor knifghts during migration, now if you really wanted one u could allways bag it yourself and then put it in its tank :P

Of course you didnt hear this from me :wink:

here is poor knights??

Around 18mls east of Tutakawa (sp.. not sure)

Dived it dozens of times, and the Sugar Loaf... down to 150foot.

Never seen any lion fish there though, but it has to be the best dive in NZ... but then there's the ..... he he.

My love was wreck diving and deep dark caves :)

MMMMMMM quite right Lions cannat be imported into N.Z dunno why though as there are antidotes to their toxins in NZ.Besides they only sting if you annoy the hell out of them.Have heard different ppl saying that they`ve seen them @ the Knights but like everyone else have yet to spy one for myself.The Volitans would easily be my fave

Doesn't matter if there's an antidote. Any venomous animal is banned from being imported. Eliminates a lot of saltwater imports. Probably eliminates most anemones because they all at least slightly venomous/poisonous/whatever the correct terminology is.

Good ole fashion NET technology is what you need. I saw Lion Fish in pet stores in Singapore & Malay, they were 45 ringet ea ($22 NZD).

Anyway we are WAY of topic? Come and talk to me you Marine Fish Keepers (or people wanting to setup a 'natural marine reef').

I am working at Parliament at the moment and its a bummer cause I can't get out of the office to get things done & I want to get my glass cut before the weekend.

Pies

• 2 months later...

I have an update on LION FISH in NZ.

The are banned for import because they are toxic.

The have been spotted on the Poor Knights islands but are classed as VERY RARE and are suspected to 'drift' from further north and only survive in the heights of summer.

They are also listed as common(summer) in the kermadec islands (which is part of NZ, in NZ waters and does not require CUSTOMS inspections when returning from the Kermadecs. Its about 5 days by boat.

So if you had the ability to get up there you could net/dive for some, bring em back and keep one and sell the rest. I suspect you would want (and could easily get) over $1000ea as the cost of getting there and back would be extremely high.

FYI