African Pantadon Butterfly fish

Chim Chim

I have had a few pantadon butterfly fish they are one of my favorite fish. I never heard of them eating adult guppies but know they will eat a top dwelling fish as large as a hatchett. They are a neat fish but don't like change at all and I found were a little harder to keep, I had one die once because my baby fighters got out of their breeding trap it ate them then wouldn't go back to dry food after being fed live food.

Hey there thanks for your replies. I am almost certain he ate them since they are nowhere in sight and they used to hang around where the butterfly was and still is. and he had a fat tummy for a while. I thought the same as you that he wouldn't eat dry food and I wonder how he survived because I never saw him ate despite putting blood worms very close to him. but one night I quickly turned the lights on and saw him quite active and swimming around, once he saw me looking at him though he resumed his spot and kept very still almost like a dead log floating.

sorry have only one 10+ cm female and some very beautiful males but they got eaten. have about 50 guppy fry i'm holding in a breeding tank so many when they grow bigger you can get some.

hey guys,

sorry still new to this site what's GBA? guppy baby....a...?

it probably doesn't stand for that. I know B/N = bristle nose.

up here in auckers we saw only one butterfly fish in jansens and thought they were quite rare so we quickly bought him we had never seen a fish like that before. we later asked about them and they said we could order more if we so wished. I think not many ppl buy them compared to the other common variety trop fish like neons guppies etc. But we bought him for 39.95 and so far I've only seen it at one place. 39.95 is not too bad I thought. I'd love to get more but I might have to give up guppies since they'll get eaten.

GBA = Golden Bristlenose Ancestrus. L144. I'm currently buying 4 of them from Snowman.

As for the butterfly fish, I asked in the chatroom yesterday and the common consensus was that they cost $30 in the Auckland region. As for giving up guppies.... you might have to keep going to feed yer butterfly fish if he's gone live-only! Either that, or pay for babies from a breeder...

cheers for that.

snowman I'd be very interested to get some GBAs from you I love bristlenose catfish. and the golden ones are pretty cool. are you in the auckland region?

yep 30 sounds right I paid a little over that, but I didnt' see them anywhere else as yet. well since my males disappeared he hasn't had anymore small fish to eat and he wouldn't be able to fit platties in his mouth. maybe when he gets bigger? and he's starting to eat the flakes, bloodworms and granules that i've been feeding my other fish. seems like he's gotten too hungry he can't be bothered being fussy.

Like keeping pufferfish ( see post on thread) I buzz on cool fish ,brackish, butterfly fish and leaf fish are my fav's ... with my time keeping butterfly fish , they like still water or they will hang around in the corners otherwise . had six 4" fish and as to their feeding apart from dropping live bugs on the surface and watching them respond to the ripples caused by the bugs struggle , the tank usually had about 30 odd neons ... noticed with night light on ( actinic) they would dive and gulp the bloody neons .. never have read about this before but jezz amazing to watch ... noticed a courting type of behaviour but nothing eventuated .... maybe next time.... sorry but moved on to reef tanks but would like to get a cool 6ft amazon system going too.