Oscar babies!!

Good_Riddance

i Just got home from being away for most of the weekend to find my oscars (who now seem to be a pair it appears!) busy laying eggs and fertilising them :D . Can anyone else whose had these breed for them give me any pointers towars the best way to maintain the fry when (and if) they hatch? ive bred jags & convicts & severums before, are they much the same in the care stakes?

cheers :D

In one word.

YES

Just lots more.

Don't feed them until they are all up, swimming in a cloud.

That's what they look like

Parents will be super agro, so watch your hands, and don't tease them either.

If one or the other eats the babies or spawm, you can be in for a helluva fight.

They tend to blame the other and give it a real hiding, even going as far as killing it.

Have a big grow out tank available too.

Alan 104

• 4 weeks later...

There are a few things that you have to take into account with oscar Fry. Firstly, do you want to keep the Oscars? If so, you're going to need a huge tank because you're going to have quite a few babies.

Obviously this is probably not an option so you might want to sell them. Have you got someone to sell them to?

Oscar Fry will not tolerate bad water, so you will have to keep on top of that.

Cichlid are very good parents and will protect their Fry in their mouths. Don't expect them to be loving parents for too long though. Once those Oscars are capable of being independent, they will become potential food.

Anyway, just a few things for you to think about