Trickle filters and o2

beachy

Hey all, just wondering, now that i am using a trickle filter, do i still need to break the surface of the water with the return from my pump, or will the trickle oxygenate the water enough?

I can easily break the surface, but i like to face the return away from the overflow rather than towards it, wich means not much surface disruption.

Any ideas? :D

Only way to find out is to try it, there are too many varibles (number fish, type fish, ditto plants, temp, water parameters, etc etc) for anyone to give a proper answer. I would say you shouldn't need to but to just keep an eye of the fish, if they start going to the surface or acting stangely then move your return or add an air pump for a few days to see you it is the lack of surface disruption.

You should be fine. A trickle filter will put a lot more oxygen in the water than a turbulent surface. If in doubt, try to find somebody with a DO meter. If you have to transport the water to them, make sure it comes out of the tank and straight into an airtight container without too much disturbance.

I don't worry about oxygen much myself. Just make sure you have current all through the tank and there will usually be enough. It's dead spots you have to be careful about.