Advice on Angels...loads of pics!

Phillz

These 2 are trying so hard to have time to themselves, so I had decided to give them up to the LFS so they could make a family..........but things have changed, and they can't take them now, so I have decided to keep them.

The Only tank spare is a 2ft one, which I have set up, and is ready to go.

Is this going to be enough space for them? They are pretty large Angels.

Any Advice appreciated......here is a pic of them.

a1.jpg

They are beautiful fish Phil. I was told that the bigger the tank the better for angels. I was temtped to buy an ar (not sure what model) tank of about ninety litres to put angels and maybe a few neons in, and the staff at the LFS said that would be a tight squeeze for angels. Duno if that helps at all

I "breed" them in two foot by 15" deep tanks (600x375mmx300mm).. and usually leave both parents in with them for around ten days.. then move the parents out and feed the fry up in the two footer until they are around 25mm high (tip to tip).. then they go in the 900x450mm grow out tanks.

Find a piece of plastic water pipe around 40mm diam. Prop it securely in the corner at an angle and they will soon start cleaning it up if they are a pair.... and ready :)

Bill.

Find a piece of plastic water pipe around 40mm diam. Prop it securely in the corner at an angle and they will soon start cleaning it up if they are a pair.... and ready :)

Bill.

Will Do Bill, The tank is one of your old ones :)

a piece of plastic water pipe around 40mm diam. Prop it securely in the corner at an angle and they will soon start cleaning it up if they are a pair.... and ready :)

Bill.

K...did this and look what happened :D

aaaP6020043.jpgaaaP6020050.jpg

Dad doing his part

aaaP6020048.jpg

Great stuff Philz.. (I should sell those as Bill's Magic Pipes) :):)

Certainly did the trick, and just goes to show that if you give them something they can use.. then they will.

Beauty about the pipe thing is that "if" you have a bad pair that eats the eggs, you can quickly remove the pipe to hatch them in another tank... but having said that, I would "definitely" give your pair time to see what they do with this first batch.

They seem to know if it's a bad lot, and might eat them... or the may eat them if they feel insecure... but either way.. give them a couple of goes before you write them off as being bad parents.

If you see any turn white... just leave them.. as they will get rid of them, and try not to disturb them in any way if you can.

They may even move the clutch if they find another suitable possie.

Watching them with hundreds of fry is still an amazing sight to me, and I've seen it countless times :)

Looks to be about 400 to 500 eggs there,, real nice clutch.

Hope you are taking notes :)

Great pics BTW...

Bill.

Not such good news on the Angel Front!

Mum doesn't look so good, she has something hanging from her, not sure what it is, but doesn't look good! She isn't interested in her eggs, and gone to the other side of the tank away from her partner, she is not interested in food either. Her mouth seems a little swollen, and is not shutting completely.

WebaP6030069.jpg

WebaP6030064.jpg

Neither mum or dad are fanning the eggs now, dad is still close, but not that interested. Approx 20 or so eggs are now white, they haven't removed them.

OK an update...

Mum is doing better, looking a bit brighter :)

She got around to removing some of the dead eggs. Dad kept a close watch, and is very protective.

eggsWebP6040070.jpg

Couldn't focus right up on these lil wriglers (new camera, have to learn how to use it yet LOL)

eggsWebP6040071.jpg

They moved all the live fry to a flat rock, trying hard at keeping them all together

eggsWebP6050085.jpg

Proud parents, watching over their pride and joy!

eggsWebP6050086.jpg

Great stuff Philz.. good to see it has worked out good.

They may even move the clutch if they find another suitable possie.

They seem to be sticking to the routine :)

Watch for when they have consumed the egg sac... "before feeding" them.. then Newly hatch brine shrimp is the best first food.

Bill.

Watch for when they have consumed the egg sac... "before feeding" them.. then Newly hatch brine shrimp is the best first food.

Bill.

How long does it normally take for the egg sac to be consumed?

Hard to see but I think it is still there.

About four to six days Phillz.

But a sure sign of when to feed them is when they start free swimming in the water column in a group or what would be termed a school, not just jumping up and down splashing their fins just as a singular fish.

Alan 104

Well, it seems as if I have eager breeders now......as they have been at it again all ready. Their ROCK is covered in eggs as of this morning.

Will get more pics up soon.

The first lot of fry is doing really well, and growing fast, I have been feeding them on BBS and Microworms (Thanks Bill :wink: )

I am thinking of moving them to a 3 ft (Currently my native tank) and leaving them to it.....I am keeping notes and letting the parents do thrie thing.

YIKES :o

Yes......I don't really have any where else to put them......unless the parents go back into the main community tank where they were being picked on :cry:

Arggggggggg dunno what to do now :(

More Advice needed now please :hail:

I can move the Natives into the 2ft tank, therefore freeing up the 3ft tank.