My tank status - 1month

deeveus

A member of FNZAS came around to test my tank and look at some of the chemical levels of my tank in which I am very greatful for.

Levels at present:

- Salinity: 1.022

- Alk: 2.4meg/l

- Cal: 260

- Nitrate: 0-5ppm

- Ammonia: 1.5ppm (LOL)

Tank has been running in cycle with no fish or anything in it bar 1 sea crab that I stole from our Otago Habour. Was wondering if this is ok to keep the crab in the tank once I have the 2 nemo's in there, I.E will the crab catch and eat the nemo's or will it give the fish a disease and kill them?

Below is a system which is currently under design in which the other FNZAS member and myself want to implement.

Please note: You must click on the picture below to enlarge it!

tank3ps.th.jpg

Please note: This is an actual picture from the Aqua 1 website of the actual tank.

I have been adding stress zyme to the tank as prescibed by the guy at our local petshop weekly. As a pose to buying those $25 bags of salt which does only 60 litres, I have decided to go with paul.p's idea of going to our marine research aquarium and getting water from them which is straight from the habour. This to me sounds like the cheapest idea and the best idea as this water has the correct salinity levels due to their supply being settled for a while before it is used.

Any ideas would be highly welcomed as I am a newbie to all this marine carry on. At the start it was thought that I could intail a protein skimmer but now I can't due to the fact of the size restrictions and height/roof lid of the tank.

Many thanks especially to Paul B, another Dunedin member of this site.