my new desktop nano for work

Brianemone

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what happens if it goes sexual, this is a small simple system im guessing he doesnt plan to put a U.V on it.

Also most true algae scrubbers are very large and cumbersome.

Using something like zeo will immediately absorb all NH4, so you wont need a denitrator, plus in a tank that size it ill be cheap as to run.

Also to be a true algae scubber the surface area should be nearly as large as the tanks

Agree with Layton (again! must be a full moon).

There is no doubt that algae/calurpa can take out some badness the same as a protien skimmer. Also no doubt that they take out goodness as well, same a a skimmer. I do doubt that they remove different bits of 'goodness' and 'badness'.

One thing to remeber is that a simmer ONLY removes from the system, where algae/calurpa add's to the system too. Hence the excessive yellowing seen in systems running calurpa. Calurpa will absorb P04, which is good, but little doubt it removes other unwanted and wanted elements.

Also a skimmer is a more 'constant' export system. Calurpa systems have peeks and troughs.

I use both, but only a small about of calurpa by most's standards. I may be helping alittle, but certainly not a lot. But I like the fact that my pod poulation is greatly improved with the presence of the calurpa.

Pies

Brianemone

If you don't want to use a hang on of some kind you could make a small system of some type in the tank itself, in a corner maybe or along the top inside edge at the back with an acrylic canister of some kind to lift out the media or what ever you want to use.

This would probably be the best if not the only way if you don't want anything on the outside.

dogmatix

what happens if it goes sexual, this is a small simple system im guessing he doesnt plan to put a U.V on it.

It is all the time but all of the nutriants are consumed in the srubber at a very high rate leaving nothing in the tank for any algae to consume.

Also most true algae scrubbers are very large and cumbersome.

No they are not, A turf scrubber is a turf scrubber, I think the ones that you are thinking of are the dump bucket type, However I have made some small ones of that type that measure 300mm x 150mm x 50mm.

Also to be a true algae scubber the surface area should be nearly as large as the tanks

Where on earth did you read that.

Iduncan

It does not do the same thing as a protein skimmer by any means. It can't possibly.

Dead write.

Turf scrubbers remove amonia before it break down, urea, nitrates, nitrites, nitrogen, phoshates, phophorus, carbon, bicarbonate ions, metals and calcium. Calcium is the one drawback.

They produce a high level of O2 saturated water increase the PH and produce allot of vitamins that are needed in a reef that nothing else produces.

Protein skimmers do not discriminate and remove everything including the things that are needed, and they don't put anything back that is needed.

Scrubbers have a high intensity Flourecent light about 25-50mm away from the algae which causes a highly accellerated growth rate.

Pies

There is no doubt that algae/calurpa can take out some badness the same as a protien skimmer.

Calurpa is not used in turf scrubbers at all and never will be, it is used in Refugiums which are a completly differant form of filtration.

Also a skimmer is a more 'constant' export system. Calurpa systems have peeks and troughs.

Turf scrubbers remove what is available,when it is available.

Once again your talking about the wrong type of algae filter.

Hence the excessive yellowing

Yellowing is not caused by algae, it is caused by an imbalance in the ecology of the tank which could be a number of things.

None of the tanks that I used scrubbers on were ever yellow, they were crystal clear

Aaron

Turf scrubbers remove amonia before it break down, urea, nitrates, nitrites, nitrogen, phoshates, phophorus, carbon, bicarbonate ions, metals and calcium.

What about everything else? Where does that go?

To me turf scrubbers are a waste of time and space.

Layton

if i dont have any fish in there will i need a surface skimmer/overflow???

i shouldnt get the yucky film on the top if ive got next to no animal bioload correct???

im only planning on a snail or two and if i can find one then a hermit crab as well to turn over the sand bed, or a radiant wrasse.

:P

if i dont have any fish in there will i need a surface skimmer/overflow???

i shouldnt get the yucky film on the top if ive got next to no animal bioload correct???

Corals produce a fair bit of waste, you will need some sort of surface skimming to avoid the film.

Layton

surface skimming is easy enough to do. I think ill have to mod one of those surface skimmers as the adjust to the height of the water whereas anover flow box with a mini durso would break syphon once the water level dropped below a certain point (obviously the viaaqua thing would to but at least it would give me a bit of working room over the weekend when i cant monitor the water level)

Sorry er no,

Control wrote

Where on earth did you read that.

Book of coral propogation; Anthony Calfo

Controll wrote

It is all the time but all of the nutriants are consumed in the srubber at a very high rate leaving nothing in the tank for any algae to consume.

You do understand what Sexual repoduction in algae involves ie the mass release of spores into the water. When it gows this is all it is, growth or asexual reproduction.

Ben

just showed reef two of my monti. capricornis from totaly different spots in the tank. one could think they were two different species. the one directly under the 150w m/h in 15cm of water is very light in colour with purple growth were the second sits next to the return pipe with very little light at all. that ones colour is dark brown with white growth around the edges. the growth rate seems to be about the same. (fast that is, bye bye calcium) :roll: