new betta ?sick

guppylover2

my bettta looks really healthy and active. however, couple of lighter areas on his dorsal side around the head, look like scars or missing scales. doesn't look like fungus or white spot.

just now noticed a bit (very small) hanging off - ?loose scale.

is in tank with catfish, slight current, no other top/mid level fish. catfish - gibbies, (one extra large), gold nugget, joseliamaianus.

don't think he had these areas when he was in quarantine tank with small joselimaianus and peppermint plec. however i did not notice he got stuck on the filter intake - he got sucked on when he was wrapping his body around it (as they do!) (wide filter intake stem - is a jebo).

maybe couple scales missing from that encounter, or maybe attacked by one of catfish? (territory- he does often go to the bottom of the tank too).

was able to protect him from filter intake by putting nets etc around intake.

not sure if i should put him back into the smaller quarantine tank in case it is large catfish.

what do you reckon? should i treat with melafix?

?could be catfish?

however i did not notice he got stuck on the filter intake

Sounds definitely the cause of the prob.

Metafix should help.

Highly coloured fish like these tend to go a dull whitish colour in areas that are damaged.. (possibly early signs of fungus, or scale breakdown. ) .. then later fungus may set in fully, so early treatment is important.

Bill.

thanks for the reply. interesting that if it is him getting stuck on the filter intake, why does he have a new pieceof scale coming off? just noticed it today, has been in the catfish tank since last friday i think at least.

currently have him in the jebo but in a breeder trap to avoid the filter intake.

why does he have a new pieceof scale coming off? just noticed it today, has been in the catfish tank since last friday i think at least.

Hard to say GL.. might be just a case of the area under that scale was damaged, and the scale is now being shed.

Fish can re-generate their scales pretty quickly with the right treatment, and usually it doesn't leave a scar.

Bill.