Leopard Danios

Joey

Can anyone give me some info on these fish? I have just been given some, and don't know much about them.

Usually I shy away from danios, don't know why, perhaps they are too small for my community tank, and not exactly wanted for my other tanks.

Would they be suitable to go into my livebearer tank (I know they are egg layers, just curious about compatability)? This is about my only option, either that or give them away to the fish shop.

Ok Joey :) here is what it says in my ol book.

DANIOS - family of Cyprinidae, minnow-like fishes from India, Ceylon, Indonesia & Thailand. The larger species are called Danios & the smaller members Brachydanios (from the Greek brachys, meaning short). (u wanted to know ALL that didn't u?? :P

All are swift, streamlined fishes which scatter non adhesive eggs in shallow water among plant thickets. They do well in ordinary aquarium conditions, preferring neutral water. They delight in swimming in shoals in the upper part of the tank, and usually are not scary.

Danios will take any food of suitable size, dried, fresh, or live.

They are labelled a community fish. Preferring slightly acid water. Both sexes look alike, but the female when full of roe is slightly deeper bodied.

Apparently they have not been breed in captivity yet. (my book is a 1966 edition)

Good luck with them.

ohh they are a shoaling fish. Meant to say that first :wink: Then got carried away. :lol:

Oh my, now you have me started into fish books (hubby will never forgive you :P )

Leopard danio

Length: 6 cm (2 1/4 inches)

Characteristics: two pairs of barbels. An active fish in the upper and middle water layers.

Distributoion: south-east Asia.

Aquarium conditions: community tank from 30 cm (12 inches) long, with good lighting, and preferably some sunlight.

Temperature: 23 C (73 F)

Diet: live and dried food.

Sex differences: female somewhat rounder.

Breeding: is not difficult.

I like this particular book - as the information is simply worded.

Again good luck.

I have had leopard danios in a community tank with livebearers with no problem. They don't bother other fish at all but will be happy to eat any fry being dropped by the others. Mind you, the parents of the fry will do the same thing!

A very easy, peaceful fish. They like to be in a group of 6 or more as a shoaling species.

1) All About Tropical Fish - Derek McInerny of McLynn's Aquarium, Ewhurst, Surrey and Georffrey Gerard F.R.S.E.

2) Home Aquarium in coloour - Gwynne Vevers

Publisher Warwick Press

Soooo many good books and sooo little time.. Soooo many fantastic fish and soooooo few tanks LOL.

Let us know how it goes with them please

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update on the danios. I put them in my livebearer tank as suggested, and guess what I found yeaterday? A baby. I was watching the tank after re-planting some plants, and noticed how much gunk I had stirred up. Then I saw a piece of "gunk" that was swimming. I got my cup I use for predissolving salt out and scooped the fish into it. I then put it into a floating breeder.

Let me tell you, I don't know how I spotted it. These things are smaller than any fry I have ever seen before. I thought maybe it was mossie larvae or something until I puled out my magnifying glass for a better look.

All of this happened with no preparation or expectations. The only advantage the tank has is that it is heavily planted with heaps of drift wood.

The only fish in the tank are mollies, swordtails, guppies, SAE's and leopard danios.

These fry are about one third of the size of livebearer fry, so I have ruled that out. The only thing I am guessing is that it is the danios. I guess to properly tell though I will have to wait until it gets bigger. One thing I can tell you, is that it is definately a fish. Probably another instance of a fry being being good at hiding from the bad adult fishies. :lol: