Best substrate for a heavily planted tank?

Aqua

I need answers!

I'm getting the monster tank this weekend, and before I go ahead and buy stuff for it, I want to get a good substrate!

I've found CaribSea Eco-Complete at Plantgeeks, but I've not been able to find it in NZ!

I called Hollywoods, and they've suggested I buy JBL AquaBasis Plus, which is quite sandy, and should be done as a bottom layer, then covered with standard gravel.

Jansens suggested I buy laterite, and again, cover that with standard gravel.

I've emailed MAF asking if Eco-Complete is allowed to be imported, but haven't heard back from them yet... And I haven't heard back from www.aquariumplants.com as to how much it would cost to ship Eco-Complete to NZ...

Good on you, Brother

if there is anything needed to be done, do it right.

bear in mind there is not perfect system. they may be good for certain reaction but will also in most case a bad effect as well.

i feel the key to successful aquarium is the right formular and consistence balance for the plants and fishes.

hope you get what you wanted and keep us updated.

cheers

Hi Aqua,

The best and cheapest planted tank substrate in my opinion is Aquatic Potting Mix with some Peat Moss mixed in then covered with at least 4cm of gravel.

I have used this mix in two of my tanks and am getting really good growth, plus you can pick up both from a garden centre for about $15 and have plenty left over.

My method is: put a 1 cm layer of gravel down and then add 1 cm potting mix and a few handfuls of peat moss and mix in and then add about another 4 cm of gravel on top and you shouldn't have any problems with it leaching and clouding your water. You can make it deeper at the back so it slopes from back to front, this will give you a nice deep substrate for your plants and all the leftover food etc will accumulate at the front for easy siphoning.

Cheers,

Matt

I used to use aquatic potting mix mixed in a similar way but found it went stale after 2-3 years as it tends to clog up and seal itself, - going anearobic. I now just use 2-4mm sized smooth edge gravel and add solid fertiliser tablets as needed. No matter what substrate additive you use it will eventually become exhausted anyway. I just start with an exhausted substrate and go from there. The 2-4mm gravel get just enough circulation to stay fresh without leaching too many nutrients into the open water space.