CALCIUM REACTORS

Aquatopia

Hi

I have found this item,

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_calcium_reactors_korallin_kalkreactor.asp?CartId=

Its the Korallin calcium reactor, available at Marine Depot.

You can get it as a package to include the CO2 regulator/solenoid and some media too. Im not sure if I should get the regulator etc from abroad - will they work here (electrics)? - will they connect to the CO2 bottles we have here?

Just wondered if this is the best way to go? It claims you do NOT need to add kalkwasser when you use this reactor as the CO2 is controlled and you dont lose pH or dKH. Is that what anyone else has found?

Im still not too familiar with the difference between calcium reactors and kalkwasser addition. I will say what i understand then maybe the techie guys can jump in and help me out.

My Understanding

Right - so you need to increase calcium levels in order to sustain and enhance coral growth. To do this, CO2 is passed/filtered through media which is high in calcium compounds (such as aragonite). The acidity of the CO2 dissolves the calcium into solution and introduces it into the aquarium.

From there i understood that because CO2 is acidic it can lead to a loss of pH in the aquarium so you need to buffer the alkalinity of the tank (alkalinity being the ability to maintain pH ??) by the addition of kalkwasser, which is a high pH (alkaline) liquid (when dissolved in a stirrer or other such method).

The write up on that link says with that reactor you dont need to use kalkwasser because of its efficient use of CO2. Is that right or just marketing BS?

Also - how do controllers come into the equation? Do they measure the pH and increase or decrease the operation of the calcium reactor? If so how does this work - i mean - how do they actually do that? is that what the solenoid is for on the CO2 regulator? Would the controller open or close the solenoid?

H E L P !! I think i am ALMOST there, but this particular technology is new to me.

Thanks. :-? :-? :-? :-? :-?

How will they work without the regulator? Do you mean without the solinoid?

I have the Korralin 4000. I don't use a solinoid as per Korralins instructions.

Expensive reactors, but well made and highly reccomended. One note, there is a general feeling that they are overrated, so i've read your better off picking 1 bigger than you need. Mine is way overkill for my tank anway, YMMV.

Pie

Thanks Pies - perhaps the person who told me that DID mean the solenoid. So what does that mean - you just hook up the regulator and set it to however many bubbles per minute you want/need ? Im looking at the smallest one there - but then my tank will only be about 70gals all up.

Is my understanding of the theory OK there mate?

i have a korallin too, a c3001 which is rated heaps bigger than my tank volume. however i figure the media will simply last longer more than anything else. they come with a circulation pump (small eheim) on top and builtin bubble counter. mine doesnt have solenoid either and runs 24x7. i want to get a solenoid though to control when it runs. i gravity feed mine at the moment, its a pain though because for some reason the water level in the reactor keeps dropping - im assuming because the valve that controls the drip rate back to the aquarium is screwed so sucks air backwards! it never used to do it. i feed the return out the top. i use a tunze 7077/2 regulator which i bought from here:

http://www.reefonline.com.au/shop/product_info.php?products_id=209

You want to make sure you use the Korallin or any reactor with the regulator with the electronic solenoid is because if you dont have a pH controller you want to plug the solendoid into the wall. The reason is to make sure if you loose power the solendoid turns off thus disabling CO2 to expell into your tank.

The way the Korralin is designed, if the power goes off, any Co2 hits the reactor chamber, then goes through the effluant pipe and bleeds into the air, co2 into the waterstream is minimal. I've been using mine without solinoid or PH controller for 2 years now without issue, my PH is rock solid as is my CA/MG/KH.

Pies