Fish eyes

Caper

Hi all!

When taking a picture with a flash...does it hurt the fish's eyes?

When I feed them in the morning, I don't always turn on the light but I do in the evening. My aquarium has incadescent lights.

Should the lights be on or off during feeding? If it is okay to have the lights on when they are feeding, I'd do it all the time since easier to see how much food is being eaten, at least until I'm more familiar with the feeding/eating habits?

I thought I saw somewhere here about not turning the lights off after you feed them??????

Considering they all go up to the surface at some point when the light is on (especially the platy when he's eating), does the light hurt their eyes?

When you get your picture taken with a flash does it hurt your eyes? Most of my fish don't seem to notice, or react, to the flash.

The lights should be on when you are feeding as this is a good time to check your fish for illness, damage etc. You also need to note if any seem off their food or are missing out because of bullying or faster fish. Only feed as much as the fish can eat in 5 minutes and remove any leftover food as this will pollute the tank.

Some people feed a little after lights off if they have nocturnal fishes.

Thanks Caryl!

I wasn't sure on the flash and the light issue. Was reading on the net somewhere, about too much light not good for their eyes since they don't have eye lids:) I don't want to blind them trying to get pictures!

I'm turning the light on in the morning when I feed them.

Usually I'm the only one that feeds the fish. I figure that is the best thing so that I can learn how much to give and get to know their eating habits.

But, yesterday, I was sick. I asked my son to wake me when it was time to feed the fish. Instead he fed them. That was fine, except for one thing, I didn't see his note that he fed the fish...and I fed them again! If they end up with an extra feeding, do you skip the next one?

No they will be fine. I am sure they thought all their Christmas's had come at once though :lol:

Are you leaving the light on all day or just long enough to feed them? Fish like a nice day/night cycle. If you have live plants you need 10 - 12 hours of light per day.

I was going to ask that very question today about lights on/off.

No, I do not have live plants...oh my...never never had luck with keeping plants alive can't imagine trying to keep them alive and the fish as well :o

I will NEVER keep live plants in an aquarium unless I absolutely, no other choice, will be shot if I don't...have to :( Maybe someday...waaaaaay down the road...I might consider trying once I'm more experienced...oh dear shutter at the thought!

I turn light on in morning now when I'm feeding them but I turn them off shortly after before I go to work. The lights don't get turned on again till the evening. Between 6:30 and 7 p.m is when they have their supper, and Iwas turning the lights on then, turning them off about midnight. So they were getting about 5-6 hours with lights on.

I read somewhere on the net that anywhere between 4 & 12 hours would be fine. What is suggested by all you experienced folks?

I don't like the incadescent lights, give off too much heat. Next aquarium will have fluorescent for sure!

I live in an apartment, one on each side of me, and I have an upstairs. In the summer, this place can get really warm.

But I noticed a few evenings when we had some really mild weather, (first I had my heater set for approximately 74), the temp was going up to 76-78. I now have my set at 72. With the lights on for awhile, it usually goes up to 74.

Obviously incadescent lights do affect the temp. Anyway, that is why I'm scared to leave the lights on any longer. What do you suggest?

Should I have posted this as a new topic?????

The fish ought to be getting enough natural light so I doubt your light routine upsets them. Use fluorescents as they are cooler and cheaper to run.

I would never consider a tank without natural plants as it is better for the fish and easier to keep the water parameters stable but lots of people keep artificial plants only with no problems.

Your tank will heat to match the temperature of the room even if your heaterstat is set to a lower temp. Ours sit at 28C in summer and get up to 33C on hot days. Then we turn the lights off, lift the lids and blow fans across the surface to cool them off. If necessary we also put frozen pads in as well.

I wish I had the fluorescent. But locally I can't get another hood that I can use fluorescent in. So I have to put up what I have.

When I saw how much the temp went up with the lights on, I was wondering what would happen in the summer. So, thanks for the heads up on what can be done if temp gets too high. Do you also turn the heater off????

we also put frozen pads in as well

The type you buy in the stores...and just make sure they don't leak and rinse them really well????

I've read somewhere that a temp change 2 degrees either way is okay. Does this sound reasonable?

Any temp between 20 and 30 degrees cent is ok, as long as it doesnt change too quickly, and doesn't stay at the extreams for too long.

I stongly suggest that you try out a few plants for two reasons, firsly because they look nice and secondly because they will help with the water. There are lots of really easy to keep plants that will do fine with your low light, Indian and Java ferns would be a good place to start. Most plants are easier than fish to keep, and best of all..... You dont have to remember to water them!

As long as you make sure you get low light plants I garrentee in a few months you will be trimming and removing plants because they are doing so well and your fish will be so much happier.

The heater doesn't need to be turned off as it only turns on if the temp drops below its set temperature. In warm weather it just doesn't turn on.

We have small fluorescents here that fit into an ordinary bulb socket. Do you have them over there too?

The pads I refer to are called Slikka Pads over here. They are the solid plastic ones you put into chilly bins, Eskies, or chiller boxes (don't know what you call them in Canada). They are full of water and you keep them in the freezer until needed. They do not leak. You can use ice cubes too but this raises the water level as they melt which is why I prefer the pads.

My tank is set to 22C (which is lower than many recommend but my fish are all happily living to ripe old ages) but in summer gets up to 28 - 30C.

Oh Suphew...if you only knew how bad I am when it comes to plants...believe me...you wouldn't suggest having them...as a matter of fact...you'd probably think I shouldn't even keep the fish...or my cat...or my kids :o

Gee Caryl...I don't know if I can get fluorescents that fit into ordinary light sockets here...but I will definetely check that out...from everything I'm reading...fluorescent is better...and like you said, cheaper & don't get as hot!

chilly bins, Eskies, or chiller boxes

I'm not sure if these 3 things are different items...but I think I know what you mean.

Say if I wanted to keep something cold...like drinks & food to take to a beach...I'd put these things in my freezer then put them in with the food in an insultated container what we would call a cooler which I'm thinking is similar to what you have mentioned.

I think I know what the pads are. They have different names and different kinds, some are a plastic filled with some kind of liquid, others are in heavy plastic filled with some kind of gel! Anyway, I think I'm on the right track??????

So perhaps before summer starts, I should see if I can get a small one of these. Did you say that you just put them right in the tank?