Problem Kissing Gourami

Zimbaliza

Hi,

I introduced 2 new Kissing Gourami's to my main tank in the weekend, to keep my existing one company, (they are about 10cm or so), everything was fine, for the first 5-6 hours, they were all schooling together, until my one (the original), that named 'a**e hole', yep that's been his name for the last year or so, due to him killing his brothers/sisters, started the chasing/biting and kissing battles.

At the moment, he chases the other 2 around the tank, preventing them from feeding... etc, I've caught him, and put him a small jail at the moment... the tank has settled down to normal

Question, do I let the fighting continue?? or find a new home for 'A**e Hole'?? put him in with the puffers??, Partition off the main tank??

I just have memory's, of the torment, he put his brothers and sisters though, 

-Chris

kissing.JPG

jail.JPG

Personally, I would consider taking the other two back. Kissing gourami from what I've heard, tend to be highly aggressive. If you've got one who has already managed to kill others of his species, I wouldn't think that he has a high chance of getting along with these two.

If you decide to keep them-- I've looked up a care sheet from seriouslyfish to get a second opinion, ( http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/helostoma-temminkii/ ) they say that whilst they may be able to be kept in groups, and like hanging out in groups when young, they may get aggressive when older to they attack anything that even has a vaguely similar shape. BUT they also say that keeping a group isn't impossible, and that the most important factor is space. Frommmmm what I can remember of your tank, it's quite large, so that may not be the immediate issue here. 

Things you've done right so far:
- Buy more than 1 new individual
- Have a larger tank
- Have 'dither' fish to distract the gourami from one another/spread aggression
- Have alternative places to put aggressor
- Have at least some form of cover that the others can use

Things you could try to get everyone to settle down:
- Change around the decor majorly. May not be the best if you've got a specific scape going on but it'll help annihilate whatever territory the first bub set up in his time of solitary reign. This may give the other two a chance to 'move in' and establish their own boundaries
- Break up the line of sight. Not entirely sure how much 'stuff' you have in the tank already but what could help is to create areas in which each individual fish can retreat to and not be seen/unintentionally bring the wrath of the other fish upon themselves. So floating plants/strategically placed driftwood and rocks/caves/large decor are your friends here. 
- Give them time. I'm not sure how long it may take, but they would probably establish a pecking order. I see this a lot with my honey gourami females (though they mainly do aggressive posturing/maybe a little nipping/chasing/food guarding). It's not always a strict heirarchy with fish and it's mainly from what I've observed/heard from others but there will be a dominant fish who beats up the other two, and sometimes one more than the other.
------------The one caveat I'd add to this is if the big guy looks like he is causing serious damage, then separate him like you've already done :) -------------- you may go through several phases of trying something/giving them time/separating depending on what does/doesn't work for your tank. 

Things I WOULDN'T do:
- Add him to the puffer tank. If he's already aggressive theres the chance that he could have a go at your puffs or (more likely) that they would have a go at him. They are notorious for eating other fish one small tiny crescent shaped bite at a time, and I just woudn't trust them with other species of fish lol. 
- Be set on making it work. At the end of the day, every tank has slightly different situations and it may be that he just won't settle in with the newcomers, in which case you may have to either rehome him or the other two. Personally I'd go with the other two as its possible you'll have the same issue with them beating each other up as /they/ get bigger as well, but again it could also work out, so if you feel it's worth a try then go for it. 

At the end of the day, if he's done this before, I wouldn't be surprised if he kills anything thats even vaguely the same shape as him. Some fish were just born to be natural masters of the 'A**hole' as you put it :P Best of luck and I hope it works out, but if not, just know that he's probably just as happy (or happier!) without compatriots :) 

I've had a couple of Kissing Gourami's before, (lasted 13-14 years) never had a problem with them,  I lost them both last year, (one while I was overseas), the second a few months later, Both developed there own personality's, and actually could recognise who was coming into the room... is why I wanted to get some more...

I brought a-hole, and a couple of his friends to keep, the big guy company, he basically harrassed, and killed off the other 2 same sized ones within a couple of weeks, never worried about big boy, (the 13-14 year old, ok, he was WAY WAY bigger, and the little guy probably could fit in his mouth!) they were happy schooling together, till the bigger guy died, (jumping out of the tank didn't help him too much)

A-Hole, just ignores all other fish, only attacks fellow kissing gouramis.. it maybe the "size/shape" thing.... I'm thinking about releasing him from jail tonight... he seems somewhat pissed at me... and let the carnage begin... am almost tempted, to use, the Stalin tactic, give them something greater to fear... to settle there differences... but working out the "greater fear" maybe a problem... :-/

I'm pretty sure the puffers would like the company/snack, they would be like "hey daddys giving us a big pink snail"

-Chris