Masked Julie Question

zombieworm

I got a Masked Julie yesterday - my new favorite fish now, it is just so adorable! I had wanted a pair, but only one came in from the supplier, so I went with what was available. I was thinking of trying to get a second one - a mate for it, but two issues have cropped up with that.

Firstly, how do I tell if my one is male or female?

Secondly, I have read that if you put a second julie in with one that is already established in the tank (regardless if they are same sex or male & female), one will kill the other.

Has anyone had any experience with Masked Julies, or knows anything about them?

julie2.png

Julies are lovely & yes can be pains... but if you get a couple to pair up. Everything comes up roses.

Femals tend to be bigger. Hence usually you buy 5 or 6 as juvies, grow up & let nature take its course. The sure way, is to vent sex...

http://www.fishhead.com/articles/ventsex.htm

There is a pic in there, showing Julies. You can then at least know what you have & then try to find the other. How big is your tank? Caue you can try to find anther 3 or 4 of similar size & add to the tank.

Either way, before introducing. Break down the tank, take out resident julie. Re set up tank, place in new ones & then the resident one.

Here is a good read

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/j_marlieri.php

What you have is either a marlieri or transcriptus... or a cross of both. Either way, the article is a good one to read.

Frenchy :)

This little guy/.gal is a transcriptus. The first pair I ordered arrived at the supplier DOA. Of the second pair ordered, one was DOA, so this is the only one I was able to get. Am wanting more, obviously. I have a 380 ltr tank coming this week end, which I will be setting up to move the cichlids to - they are currently in a 165 ltr tank. I will put off moving Julius/Juliette when I move the others over, and see if I can get a few more first, then move him/her over when the new ones arrive. Thanks for the help Frenchy :D