Underwater LEDs with bubble curtain

Sandy

I was just looking at these on TradeMe and watched a video of them and my thoughts were that surely the changing of colours would upset the fish.

Does anyone have any experience with underwater lighting and is there any benefit other than just the way it makes the tank look.  I dont think I want the range of colours that these lights come with, I just want a white one and a blue one to be used in the late afternoon/evening when I dont have the main lights on (Aqua One 850 with built in overhead lights) so I can still watch the fish while relaxing over dinner etc.

Haven't used underwater lights but the first overhead lighting on my current tank was made from a RGB strip light.  If the it the colour was steady and didn't change the fish were fine with it but if it was constantly changing "disco mode or fade" the fish freaked out (natives).  

My way of thinking is to keep everything as natural as possible.  In a natural stream or lake you don't get abrupt changes of colour but only a slow fade from white to a "dusk" colour before darkness. And light never shines from the bottom.  If you can't use an overhead moon light to have on for an hour or so after the main lights go out I suggest just resetting your timer so the main light comes on later in the day and off in the evening an hour before you go to bed.  The room lights will give the "dusk" period when the tank lights off.