Preferred tank dimensions for Africans

YamNato

Hi there, I'm fairly new to the hobby and currently have a 50l tropical setup. I'm on bore water and get water with a p.H 8.5-9.0 and a dKH of 8, I'm told Malawi and Tanganyika Africans will suit this water. So I looked into them and I quite like the fish and the tank environment (rocky), long story short I want to start a new tank. I'm a student so it will take some time to get everything I need to start the tank (over 4 months) and get everything running. My thinking is for now I will get the tank, then build a solid stand, then filters etc etc.

Right, so my question is.... I know go as big as you can is the rule of thumb but does tank dimensions make a difference? 

For example, I am currently looking at two tanks

Tank 1: 262 liters 1200 wide, 390 high, 560 deep

Tank 2: 338 liters 1220 wide, 600 high, 460 deep

So yes tank 2 has way more volume but tank 1 has a bigger foot print that can be used for more rocks and will allow for more caves.

What would you guys recommend out of the two tanks?

The other thing I have to keep in mind is that my house is on piles, the tank will sit partially above 2 piles in a corner against two exterior walls. The stand I want to build will be 1800x600 and will be real solid to spread the weight over the entire footprint. I'm thinking I might need to brace the floor some more, what experience do you guys have with this? The tank will sit perpendicular to the joists and the joists are 500mm on centers. If I went with the 338 liter I figure after I add the weight of the water, glass, substrate, rocks, lights ,filters etc. I am looking at 650 kg's.

That weight makes me real nervous when I think about it. 

Well that was a mouthful.

Any input is appreciated 

Thanks

Bigger the better in the scheme of things seems to work well.  African tanks often have high stocking to lower aggression between individuals so the extra litrage would help even if it doesn't give you a much bigger foot print and you would have a bit more flexibility with things if you wanted to change the stocking in some way down the track 

I agree with "bigfishhead" overall footprint is better than litres. tank 1 would be my pick. As far as stocking goes the length of both tanks are similar and  prob a bit short for the bigger open water haps but tank 1 is way deeper(front to back) so will give you more fish variety for your stocking. I have found that africans seem to be fine with a little less hight (top of tank to bottom) but definately need the width (front to back)

IMO it is better to sacrifice a bit of length and volume to gain a bigger footprint 

That weight makes me real nervous when I think about it. 

My House is also on piles and I was just as nervous , all up I estimated my tanks , rock , stand/cabinet , sump and equipment etc at around 1 ton , what I ended up doing was strengthening the floor  , once this was done I felt a lot more confident and I know for sure that if I had not done this I would most probably be having sleepless nights waiting for it to crash , This is how I did mine

20140404_183450.thumb.jpg.9b5db0f9b998a1