A Word To Anyone With Danios!

RunningWithScissors

This is what happened to me, and I hope you can learn from it!

I looked in the fish tank and found only four zebra danio's! Where was the fifth? He hadn't been wedged under a rock or behind the filter... he couldn't be seen in the middle of the java moss. He didn't seem to be anywhere in the tank! So we lifted up the lid of the filter and there he was, sitting in between the filter media. He had swam up the filter outlet and into the media holder!
IMG_0001.JPG

Fortunately, we put him back in and covered up the outlet, and he seems none the worse for his little adventure. Even though his story had a happy ending, the moral is: always make sure you filter is danio/fish proof. It seems that zebras are just a little bit too adventurous!

Sometimes it happens when the fish are weak/unwell/getting older and are not able to swim against the current.  You could put a piece of netting (like a fish net) over the intake strainer or you can get sponges which sit over the filter intake.  :)  If your filter is on continually and working properly he would not have been able to come up the outlet.

Edited by Adrienne