Livefood

Aqua

Specifically, whiteworms!

I bought a culture from Hollywoods about a week ago, and so far, they appear to be breeding away (there's always some there when I lift the little rope square anyway!), but I've noticed these mite type things everywhere... Anybody know what they are?

Pics:

wworm_and_mites.jpg

mites.jpg

mites2.jpg

wworm_and_mites2.jpg

Larger (800x600) images are available on my website:

http://www.nik.co.nz

You mix looks a bit too damp to me, I have only had the bug thingies when mine gets too damp. The mix should be about the same as you would keep a pot plant, also if is in the same container it came in you should think about moving the culture into something bigger.

I use an old small fish tank but any container will do like a poly box, I have an old under gravel filter plate with organic compost (from plant shop, just check there are no insecticides in it) on top this allows the air to circulate. The damp bread I use to feed the worms puts enough moisture in, with the odd watering during the summer. The bread also draws them to the surface so I can collect them.

No sweat with the mites.

Treat them as a bonus of live food.

If you do get over-run with them though, submerge the culture and most of the mites will float off.

Drain the culture and carry on.

The WW's should be in a container that won't "pond" water, and should have drain holes in it.

mist it each week or when ever neccessary to keeep the moisture content correct.

If it gets too wet, the worms will tell you.

They will start climbing out of the mixture and up the walls, finally dieing out and becoming putrid.

Alan 104

Sweet thanks for that Alan :)

Yeah, the mixture was REALLY dry yesterday, so I sprinkled a little water onto it... Possibly a bit much? I might see if I can get my hand on some more soil, and transfer the whole lot into an old ice cream container :)

A fish breeder of many years standing told me the best container for white worms was an old wooden tea box. The wood allowed the culture to breathe more than plastic like ice cream containers. having said that, I kept mine in ice cream containers with no trouble (most of the time).

Unlees you see one eating a live worm i wouldn't worry about it because they're most likely eating the vegetation. and are just another live food that you seem to be breading.

You might want to keep an I on any plants in the surrounding area but I can't see why they would leave a meal like that.

Aaron.