Samurai Gourami - Sphaerichthys vaillanti

alexyay

Has anyone here owned and bred them before? I've got a group of 6 and am adding 5 more tomorrow :)

- What temperature do you find they prefer?

- Do you find they're particularly sensitive to water changes?

- Do males develop red finnage and very mild vertical bars at all? I'm struggling a bit to sex mine (they're currently not in their final tank, so are a bit stressed)

- What kind of lights were you using with them?

- Do you find they constantly have gorgeous colours and spread-out fins? Or do you find clamping, discolouration etc is common in them, even when not exposed to stressors? They seem to be very reactive in terms of their colouration - I've got Apistos and Badis which are quite similar in this behaviour, but those have both typically been at gorgeous colouration for me - the Samurais seem to be experiencing more stress than the others. The Badis and Apistos seem to be pretty good with the pH out of the tap being a bit high (KH is very low, and pH drops quickly), but I'm wondering whether I'll have to start with rainwater or aged water for the Samurais.

I couldn't just leave four of them there 

They're doing way better lately - will be moving the first group to the group of 9 tomorrow - they're still super reactive, but I'm seeing less white/black patches in general, and much more colour. The 6 seem to have sorted their hierarchy out a bit, the 9 are still squabbling but in a 260L tank they have so much room it's not as intense. Now I'm going to mess it all up by introducing the two groups :$

Are you able to tell them apart to some degree? Would be interesting to see whether those who sit higher in the heirarchy of 6 come out as more dominant once in a larger group-- also is there a tendency for males/females to take the higher/lower positions in the heirarchy or does the sex of the fish not seem to matter? 

Sorry for all the questions, I just find chocs/samurai really awesome and was wondering how they differ behaviourally to my honey gourami. 

The girls seem to be more aggressive than the males - the males kinda just chill, whilst the girls are busy sorting out their hierarchy. My alpha girl for example is definitely the "alpha"/dominant fish - haven't had much of a chance to observe them but everyone looks to have settled in just fine :)

Interesting- my honeys do a similar thing with the females sorting out a heirarchy/fighting the most when a new member is added with the males chilling out in opposite corners of the tank as their territories (which the girls just drift through whenever they like) 

I have a trio, very cool little fish, always out looking for food when I am around. Thought my male was mouth brooding for a while, but either spat the eggs or ate them, following this my dominant female (the one one who released eggs i'm guessing due to her loss of roundness ) lost her position as top dog and my other female has plumped up and taken on intense colouration. Have handle 75% weekly water changes and a pH of around 7.