thinking of sellling my 4ft discus tank???

Vjarn

hey guys, i love the fish but i just dont have the time and money, my idea was to get the to spawn and make a bit of spending money but the cost of food and power is too great, im a student and have alot of assignments, theyre sory of getting neglected but only in the terms of getting rid of the algae thats killilng all my plants, should by f.excel but $$$$.

need some encouragement to get over it. cheers

I know the algae looks unsightly (and kills the plants) but the fish don't mind it. Ignore the algae until you've finished your assignments then restock with plants afterwards. Othrewise, keep removing it as soon as it appears and do lots of water changes. These don't take long to do if you do a little often.

Not sure what to do about power consumption though. We have 6 tanks running here and don't notice much difference power-wise. I have never understood why people say it adds heaps to their power bill - except those with fishrooms. We have a well insulated house though so perhaps that makes a difference. Heaterstats don't turn on at all over summer but the rooms can get down to 15C overnight when it is frosty.

Rather than sell the tank (they always cost more to replace) what about cutting back actual fish numbers for now?

Think of how relaxing and condusive to study your tank is :wink:

If you work out heaters on for a while lights on for 8 hrs a day filters and air pumps 24/7 it does add up, i worked out my 3 tanks cost about $40 a mth power wise, doesn't seem much but that all depends on how much you have. The old story the more you have the less it matters.

I can understand where Vjarn is coming from, after spending $80 on Flourish Excel im now doing daily or at leats bi-daily water changes to dilute the phosphate to get rid of :evil: BBA :evil: . The only way i get to buy anything for my tanks or fish is by selling their fry.

I've tried phos-zorb and green-x both "supposed" to reduce phosphate levels....... hence why i'm doing the F/Excel and water changes. In my opinion they don't work very well. Have yet to try the Phosphate Remover recommended by Warren. If someone wants to buy a couple of GBA i will be able to afford to try it LOL