Nelson 40L nano

Whitenero

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and have recently set-up a small 40L nano Nz native marine rock pool aquarium. Mostly for my own interest but have young kids so it's educational for them. I am new to the aquarium hobby and still learning. I have a few starter questions if anyone can help answer.

I have a few mussels in my tank and wanted to get some live phytoplankton culture so I could grow my own but there's not much online about purchasing this. One post recommended contacting NIWA for a batch but was a pretty old post. Anyone else making their own? Or should I just buy store dead phytoplankton?

Also realise mussels are incredibly hard to keep and am doing weekly water changes using NSW.

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

Cawthron Institute, right there in Nelson ( I used to work there, many moons ago, a very cool place!), grow oodles of live phytoplankton for their aquaculture facility /mussel hatchery out at the Glen. Take a look at this link http://www.cawthron.org.nz/aquaculture-park/ . Not sure if they sell to the public but you may be able to come to an arrangement.

Good luck with your tanks.